When jockey John McKee, the 21-year-old Ohio native climbed aboard his first mount on Friday, he did so as a journeyman rider. McKee's days of riding as an apprentice jockey ended on Thursday with 274 career wins under his belt.
Apprentice jockey John McKee broke Steve Cauthen's 1976 record for victories by an apprentice rider in the Fall Meet at Churchill Downs.
The impressive performance turned in by apprentice jockey John McKee in the fall meet at Churchill Downs has put another record held by legendary rider Steve Cauthen in real danger.
Apprentice jockey John McKee rode Jenny's Prospector to an impressive win in the $100,000 Hoosier Debutante Stakes on Ladies Night Saturday at Hoosier Park.
A new kid on the block is threatening Hall of Fame jockey Steve Cauthen's 26-year-old record of 109 victories as an apprentice at River Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Dissident, I Do Win in Australia, New Zealand
- Durkin Nears Finish Line of Brilliant Career
- Officials Examining Horse Deaths at Saratoga
- Stallion Oxbow to Stand at Calumet in 2015
- California Chrome Progressing Toward PA Derby
- Competitive Group Entered for Smarty Jones
- Lemon Drop Kid: A Class Act
- Goldencents vs. Wise Dan Showdown Likely
- Knee Surgery to Sideline Kid Cruz for Year
- Hollendorfer Duo Part of Even Yellow Ribbon