When jockey John McKee, the 21-year-old Ohio native climbed aboard his first mount on Friday, he did so as a journeyman rider. McKee's days of riding as an apprentice jockey ended on Thursday with 274 career wins under his belt.
Apprentice jockey John McKee broke Steve Cauthen's 1976 record for victories by an apprentice rider in the Fall Meet at Churchill Downs.
The impressive performance turned in by apprentice jockey John McKee in the fall meet at Churchill Downs has put another record held by legendary rider Steve Cauthen in real danger.
Apprentice jockey John McKee rode Jenny's Prospector to an impressive win in the $100,000 Hoosier Debutante Stakes on Ladies Night Saturday at Hoosier Park.
A new kid on the block is threatening Hall of Fame jockey Steve Cauthen's 26-year-old record of 109 victories as an apprentice at River Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Lukas Drops by to See Old Friend Charismatic
- Rockridge's Posse Will Not Return to U.S.
- Lemon Drop Kid an Emerging Broodmare Sire
- U S Officer, Cool Arrow Set for Springboard
- Miss Temple City Scores Matriarch by a Nose
- Trainer Davis Looks Forward to More Success
- Santa Anita Moves American Oaks to Dec. 31
- Northwest Stud Announces 2017 Stud Fees
- Laoban Works Toward Return
- Track Maintenance Internships Being Offered