This week is a BloodHorse BackTrack story on the 1949 Kentucky Derby won by Calumet Farm's Ponder and a stakes story on the 1949 Kentucky Oaks won by Calumet's Wistful.
A BloodHorse magazine recap of Citation's Kentucky Derby win from the May 8, 1948 issue. The story, written by Alex Bower, carried the headline, "Calumet, Jones, and Arcaro Pitch Another Shutout in the Derby."
- By Evan Hammonds
- Thoroughbred Racing, Thoroughbred Breeding, Breeders' Cup, Triple Crown, Southeast Region
With the 45th Eclipse Awards taking place Jan. 16 at Gulfstream Park, it's remarkable the changes in the event--and coverage--since the inaugural "Winners Circle" dinner at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York in 1972.
Fifty years ago Kelso rallied late in the season for his fifth Horse of the Year crown. Read more in the September 27, 2014 issue of The Blood-Horse. view slideshow
Two internationally known jockeys, Steve Cauthen and Chris McCarron, will help open an exhibit at the Lexington History Museum as a part of the "Best of the Bluegrass" celebration leading up to the 2006 Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I) at Keeneland.
With a victory in today's third race at Laurel Park, jockey Rick Wilson tied Hall of Fame rider Eddie Arcaro for the 20th spot on the all-time win list. Both have 4,779 career wins.
Most Popular Stories
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Arrogate Begins Del Mar Journey in San Diego Handicap
- Remembering Ben's Cat
- Look Back: Shuvee Completes a Filly Triple Crown
- Ky. HBPA Teams with Ellis for 'College Day'
- Leatherbury, Maryland Racing Mourn Ben's Cat
- Dickinson, Lady Eli to Meet Again in Diana
- Biancone Moves Closer to Kentucky Reinstatement
- Direct Dial, Admiral Jimmy Vie Again in Sanford
- Ana O'Brien Sidelined Until November