Marketing icon Ed Seigenfeld, former executive vice president of Triple Crown Productions, died Sept. 16 in Louisville, Ky., after a brief illness. He was 78.
More network television isn't necessarily better for racing; instead, put the money in high definition and YouTube. So said the experts at the International Simulcast Conference.
Racing on television will be the focus of the closing session during the Oct. 5 closing session of the 19th Annual Simulcast Conference in Scottsdale, Ariz.
Ed Seigenfeld will step down as executive vice president of Triple Crown Productions (TCP) at the end of August. He has led the organization since March 1990, overseeing the Chrysler and Visa sponsorships of the Triple Crown and managing the network television negotiations for the series.
- By Blood-Horse Staff
- Triple Crown, Northeast Region, Midwest Region, Southeast Region, Southwest Region, West Region
Early nominationsl, at $600 per horse, are being taken for this year's Triple Crown races, which start with the 134th running of the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) on Saturday, May 3. The early nomination period closes on Saturday, Jan. 19.
The executive vice president of Triple Crown Productions says that the organization has received no formal offer from Bodog.com, an online gaming company that claims it has offered to sponsor the $5-million Triple Crown Challenge.
Although they haven't completely closed the door on getting a deal put together, officials at Triple Crown Productions say it is unlikely there will be a joint sponsor this year for the three races.
In what was described as a change in its marketing strategy for Thoroughbred racing, Visa USA announced Monday it would not renew its 10-year sponsorship of the Visa Triple Crown series, but would focus on a "new partnership with the sport's most venerable race, the grade I Kentucky Derby."
Most Popular Stories
- Exaggerator to Run in Haskell
- Stradivari Recuperating After Surgery
- Belmont Winner Creator Returns in Jim Dandy
- A.P. Indian Has Green Light in Vanderbilt
- Lady Aurelia on Track for Prix Morny
- Madden Gets Birthday Win at Saratoga
- King Kranz Holds Royal Edge in Amsterdam
- Legends: Lady's Secret, the Iron Lady
- The Gurkha Edges Galileo Gold in Sussex
- Unified's Connections Eye King's Bishop