Presious Passion's first start since his game front-running win in the United Nations (gr. IT) one month ago highlights seven stakes races worth a total of $800,000 that support the $1 million Haskell Invitational (gr. I) at Monmouth Park Aug. 3.
With heavy rains and flashing lighting making its way through Colonial Downs, Lady Digby came three-wide into the stretch, overtook pacesetter Eclisse near the eighth-pole and dew clear to win the $200,000 All Along Stakes (gr. IIIT) by 2 1/4 lengths.
William Clifton Jr.'s Hostess received a perfect ground-saving trip from John Velazquez, struck the front with a half-furlong to go, and edged away to win the $150,000 Orchid Handicap (gr. IIIT) by a length March 30 on the turf at Gulfstream Park.
Five of the eight entrants in the $150,000 Orchid Handicap (gr. IIIT) will face one another for second time in three weeks, as the older fillies and mares do battle March 30 on the turf at Gulfstream Park.
Trainer Jim Cassidy hasn't had much luck beating Super Freaky, losing to her three times with Passified, but he's hopeful Saturday will bring a different result in the $150,000 San Clemente Handicap (gr. IIT) for 3-year-old fillies at one mile on the turf at Del Mar.
Most Popular Stories
- Injury Knocks Constitution Off Derby Trail
- Ky Derby: Form, Pedigree, Speed, & Red Flags
- Coolmore Lexington: A Prep in Its Prime
- Bejarano Picks Up Derby Mount on Wildcat Red
- Takeout Just One Symptom of the Disease
- Divine Oath Heads Coolmore Lexington
- Champion Producer My Flag Dies at Claiborne
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 4/14/2014
- Blue Grass Runner-Up Medal Count Derby Bound
- Haskin: Art Sherman, Dave Erb 'Swap' Stories