Retrieval missions will be high on the agenda in some of the major races in Europe this weekend, when Whipper and Somnus both seek to return to winning ways in the Prix Maurice de Gheest (Fr-I) Sunday while Damson, Ireland's champion juvenile filly of last season, is dropped back to 6 furlongs for the Patrick P O'Leary Memorial Phoenix Stakes (Ire-III).
Jockey Gary Stevens earned his first group I victory in France Sunday at Deauville when the English-trained Somnus held on by a neck over favored Whipper in the Prix Maurice de Gheest (Fr-I) at Deauville Sunday.
Tom Bennett's Pipalong earned a 3/4-length victory over Godolphin's Sampower Star in the Stanley Leisure Sprint Cup Stakes (Eng-I) Saturday at Haydock Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Irish Jockey Suspended After Drug Positive
- Chuckas to Resign as President of MJC
- Hoppertunity, Constitution Head Clark
- Indiana Trainer Facing Three-Year Suspension
- American Pharoah Touted in Derby Future Wager
- Sweeping New Drug Rules Approved in New York
- Millennium Releases Stallion Roster, Fees
- Voting Open for Secretariat Vox Populi Award
- Penn National Postpones Big Wednesday Card
- Old Friends Sets Open House for Silver Charm