Suffolk Downs, slated for closure Dec. 31, will be allowed to remain open for simulcasting only under the terms of a bill that cleared the Massachusetts Senate on Dec. 29.
Development plans are starting on the non-casino side of the racetrack property. Any improvements are still contingent on Suffolk Downs' casino partner, Mohegan Sun, being granted a gaming license.
The Massachusetts Gaming Commission decided on Dec. 3 to defer until next week a ruling on whether Suffolk Downs and new partner Mohegan Sun can legally relocate a casino resort project to the city of Revere.
Suffolk Downs in East Boston, Mass., to resume live racing after being closed Aug. 29-30 due to the weekend's tropical depression.
The battle between Suffolk Downs and the New England HBPA over a 2011 contract took a turn for the worse Feb. 10 when the racetrack threatened legal action against the horsemen and demanded they remove their office trailers.
The New England Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association was prepared to offer a counterproposal to the management of Suffolk Downs Feb. 9 in an attempt to get back to the bargaining table and end their dispute.
Why should this year's incarnation of the MassCap be any different than the other 65 events contested beneath the deafening roar of overhead planes from nearby Logan Airport?
Suffolk Downs horses will compete for $1.34 million in stakes purses during the winter/spring meet in a 25-race schedule that will be highlighted by the 63rd running of the $500,000 Massachusetts Handicap (gr. II) on June 1.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Dortmund Could Return in Triple Bend
- Under Tack Show Can Make or Break Sale
- Irish War Cry Ticks All the Boxes in Five-Furlong Work
- Farrell Vaults to Top of Kentucky Oaks Leaderboard
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Winx Soars to Fifteenth Straight Win
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- El Areeb Sharp in Five-Furlong Workout
- Veteran Kentucky-Based Hot Walker Roche Dies at 91