Disqualified from his second in the 2013 edition of the Preis von Europa (Ger-I), Empoli won this year's race without controversy when he overhauled pacesetter Earl of Tinsdal in the shadow of the post at Cologne.
The Gold Cup (Eng-I) is Ascot's oldest surviving race and attracted 18 entrants for this year's renewal June 20 at the Royal meeting, including previous winners Colour Vision and Rite of Passage.
Meandre continued his winning ways with a decisive 1 1/4-length victory in the Grosser Preis von Berlin (Ger-I) at Hoppegarten July 22.
Earl of Tinsdal took the lead at the start and never relinquished it, drawing off for a 3 1/2-length victory in the Gran Premio di Milano (Ity-I) at San Siro June 10.
Campanologist returned to the winner's circle for the first time in over a year when he cruised to an easy victory in the Preis von Europa (Ger-I) at Cologne Sept. 25.
Earl Of Tinsdal took the lead from the start and never looked back as he cruised to an easy four-length victory in the Rheinland-Pokal (Ger-I) at Cologne Aug. 14.
Waldpark took command with more than a furlong to run and drew off for an impressive two-length victory in the $415,578 Deutsches Derby (Ger-I) at Hamburg July 3.
Most Popular Stories
- Stanford Among Seven for Curlin Stakes
- Belmont Average Handle, Attendance Decline
- Lenny's Place: Hall of Fame Edition
- ABR Releases Another Digital Video Ad
- Curalina Gets CCA Oaks After 'Chatterbox' DQ
- Durkin Named TCA Honored Guest
- Track Defends Trainer Suspended for Positive
- Wild Dude Stuns Masochistic in Bing Crosby
- French Bloodstock Agent Moquet Dies at Age 46
- Reports of Mares Bred Due by Aug. 1.