Disqualified from his second in the 2013 edition of the Preis von Europa (Ger-I), Empoli won this year's race without controversy when he overhauled pacesetter Earl of Tinsdal in the shadow of the post at Cologne.
The Gold Cup (Eng-I) is Ascot's oldest surviving race and attracted 18 entrants for this year's renewal June 20 at the Royal meeting, including previous winners Colour Vision and Rite of Passage.
Meandre continued his winning ways with a decisive 1 1/4-length victory in the Grosser Preis von Berlin (Ger-I) at Hoppegarten July 22.
Earl of Tinsdal took the lead at the start and never relinquished it, drawing off for a 3 1/2-length victory in the Gran Premio di Milano (Ity-I) at San Siro June 10.
Campanologist returned to the winner's circle for the first time in over a year when he cruised to an easy victory in the Preis von Europa (Ger-I) at Cologne Sept. 25.
Earl Of Tinsdal took the lead from the start and never looked back as he cruised to an easy four-length victory in the Rheinland-Pokal (Ger-I) at Cologne Aug. 14.
Waldpark took command with more than a furlong to run and drew off for an impressive two-length victory in the $415,578 Deutsches Derby (Ger-I) at Hamburg July 3.
Most Popular Stories
- El Areeb Works at Laurel Toward Wood Memorial
- Mind Your Biscuits Could Give Summers First Win
- Ashleyluvssugar, Texas Ryano Reunite in San Luis Rey
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Hope Floats for Hoppertunity in Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Look Back: Summer Squall Answers Questions in Jim Beam
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners
- Conquest Mo Money Carries Local Hopes in Sunland Derby
- Mastery to Claiborne Farm Upon Retirement