Sporting Art, a $40,000 claim by trainer Mike Mitchell this spring in New Jersey, makes his first California start for his new connections in the Del Mar Handicap (gr. IIT) Aug. 29.
Favored Marlang galloped to victory on the front end for meet-leading rider Joel Rosario in the Sunset Handicap (gr.IIIT) July 18 as Hollywood Park dropped the stakes curtain on the 2010 spring/summer season.
Looking for his first victory in nearly two years, Canadian classic winner Marlang joins a seven-horse field for the $100,000 Sunset Handicap (gr. IIIT), the traditional closing-day feature at Hollywood Park July 18.
Perhaps encouraged by the absence of Bourbon Bay, 11 horses were entered in the $150,000 Jim Murray Memorial Handicap (gr. II) to be contested May 15 over the Hollywood Park turf.
Bourbon Bay, who shot to the top of the Southern California turf marathon division one month ago, figures to be a strong choice in the $150,000 San Luis Rey Handicap (gr. IIT) on the Santa Anita grass March 20.
Obrigado, who won the San Luis Obispo Handicap (gr. IIT) in 2007, will try to capture the marathon turf race for a second time against eight rivals in the Santa Anita feature on Feb. 21.
Rescheduled for Jan. 24 after stormy conditions washed out the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday racing card at Santa Anita, the $150,000 San Marcos Stakes (gr. IIT) at 1 1/4 miles on turf attracted a field of 10.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Works Toward Seasonal Bow
- BC Juvenile Winner Texas Red Retired
- American Gal, Union Strike Meet in Starlet
- Resilient Humor Debut Winner for Sassy Image
- Retired Valet Ward Dies in Kentucky
- Trainer Brown Gearing Up for Gulfstream
- A Look Back at A.P. Indy's Hollywood Futurity
- Promising Mastery Heads Los Al Futurity Field
- Aqueduct Announcers Bring Youth, Experience
- Lukas Drops by to See Old Friend Charismatic