An automatic berth in the 2012 Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) will be on the line when nine well-matched horses line up for the $200,000 Del Mar Handicap (gr. IIT) Aug. 25.
Odds-on choice Richard's Kid gave every indication he's ready to try for a third win in the Pacific Classic (gr. I) with an impressive turn of foot to capture the Cougar II Handicap (gr. III) in track record time at Del Mar.
Millionaire and multiple grade I winner Richard's Kid will be conceding from three to 10 pounds to his rivals as he tops the six-horse field entered in the Cougar II Handicap (gr. III) at Del Mar July 27.
Multiple grade I winner Richard's Kid was victorious in his first start in the United States in more than 20 months, romping by 7 1/4 lengths at Betfair Hollywood Park in the $71,650 Prove It Stakes on the night of June 8.
Dynamic Host, claimed for $40,000 last summer, became a graded stakes winner when he held off British import Dhaamer by a neck in the $100,000 Tokyo City Cup (gr. III) at Santa Anita Mach 24.
With the 2012 Breeders' Cup Marathon (gr. II) set for Santa Anita this fall, the $100,000 Tokyo City Cup (gr. III) is as good a place as any to find out which local horses can get the distance.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Uncle Mo Filly Brings $1 Million at F-T Sale
- Fast Uncle Mo Filly Tops F-T Midlantic Sale
- Friesan Fire Colt Tops Midlantic at $825,000
- What is Uncle Mo Worth?
- Possible NYRA Plan Concerns Saratoga Group
- So Far, Seven Pointing for Belmont Park
- Finger Lakes Horsemen Call for Support