An automatic berth in the 2012 Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) will be on the line when nine well-matched horses line up for the $200,000 Del Mar Handicap (gr. IIT) Aug. 25.
Odds-on choice Richard's Kid gave every indication he's ready to try for a third win in the Pacific Classic (gr. I) with an impressive turn of foot to capture the Cougar II Handicap (gr. III) in track record time at Del Mar.
Millionaire and multiple grade I winner Richard's Kid will be conceding from three to 10 pounds to his rivals as he tops the six-horse field entered in the Cougar II Handicap (gr. III) at Del Mar July 27.
Multiple grade I winner Richard's Kid was victorious in his first start in the United States in more than 20 months, romping by 7 1/4 lengths at Betfair Hollywood Park in the $71,650 Prove It Stakes on the night of June 8.
Dynamic Host, claimed for $40,000 last summer, became a graded stakes winner when he held off British import Dhaamer by a neck in the $100,000 Tokyo City Cup (gr. III) at Santa Anita Mach 24.
With the 2012 Breeders' Cup Marathon (gr. II) set for Santa Anita this fall, the $100,000 Tokyo City Cup (gr. III) is as good a place as any to find out which local horses can get the distance.
Most Popular Stories
- Top Stallion Street Cry Dead at Age 16
- Keeneland September Sale Gains Continue
- Somber Mood Hangs Over Suffolk Downs
- Fair Grounds to Withhold Millions from Purses
- Moro Tap to Double Infinity Ranch in Texas
- Artemis Agrotera Heads Gallant Bloom
- Is PA Derby Best Spot for 'Chrome'?
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Miss Behaviour Targets Charles Town Oaks
- No Dice for Massachusetts Racing, Breeding