An automatic berth in the 2012 Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) will be on the line when nine well-matched horses line up for the $200,000 Del Mar Handicap (gr. IIT) Aug. 25.
Odds-on choice Richard's Kid gave every indication he's ready to try for a third win in the Pacific Classic (gr. I) with an impressive turn of foot to capture the Cougar II Handicap (gr. III) in track record time at Del Mar.
Millionaire and multiple grade I winner Richard's Kid will be conceding from three to 10 pounds to his rivals as he tops the six-horse field entered in the Cougar II Handicap (gr. III) at Del Mar July 27.
Multiple grade I winner Richard's Kid was victorious in his first start in the United States in more than 20 months, romping by 7 1/4 lengths at Betfair Hollywood Park in the $71,650 Prove It Stakes on the night of June 8.
Dynamic Host, claimed for $40,000 last summer, became a graded stakes winner when he held off British import Dhaamer by a neck in the $100,000 Tokyo City Cup (gr. III) at Santa Anita Mach 24.
With the 2012 Breeders' Cup Marathon (gr. II) set for Santa Anita this fall, the $100,000 Tokyo City Cup (gr. III) is as good a place as any to find out which local horses can get the distance.
Most Popular Stories
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Trust in Tammy: Fox Taught J Boys Echo His Lessons Well
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- McErin, Five Fillies Take on Kentucky Juvenile Stakes
- War Correspondent Responds in Miami Mile
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out