Barbaro's quest for the Triple Crown turned into a fight for his life, bringing much public attention to the fragility of horses' legs and feet.
The number of cases of Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE) in Florida has risen to 84.
The Kentucky Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association will honor Daily Racing Form's longtime executive columnist Joe Hirsch during the organization's inaugural "horsemen's reception" at the Kentucky Derby Museum from 5-8 p.m. on May 1, the Tuesday of Derby week in Louisville. The Kentucky HBPA will also use the occasion to present the organization's first Horsemen's Award to Butch Lehr, track superintendent at Churchill Downs. The HBPA said the award exemplifies "horsemen helping horsemen through humanitarianism and dedication."
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Apprentice Courtney Hernandez Gets First Win