The outbreak of equine herpesvirus that temporarily closed Sunland Park was pronounced officially over March 9 after all facilities at the New Mexico track were cleared from quarantine.
Sunland Park has effectively canceled this year's editions of the Sunland Derby (gr. III) and the Sunland Park Oaks, both significant points races for the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) and the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I).
Sunland Park Racetrack & Casino earned reaccreditation from the National Thoroughbred Racing Association's Safety and Integrity Alliance, the NTRA announced March 19.
Sunland Park Racetrack and Casino begins an impressive $16 million live horse racing season Dec. 7 continuing through April 16.
The 2011-12 season at Sunland Park Racetrack and Casino ended with a total handle increase of nearly 5%, the track reported April 18.
Sunland Park Racetrack and Casino will distribute more than $19 million in purses during its live horse racing meet beginning Dec. 10 and running through April 19, 2011.
Sunland Park officials in Albuquerque announced May 29 that the track's premier race, formerly known as the WinStar Derby, will be renamed the Sunland Derby. It will carry an $800,000 purse with potential to reach $1 million.
Sunland Park set a single day handle record Feb. 3, when more than $2 million was wagered at the New Mexico racetrack.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Uncle Mo Filly Brings $1 Million at F-T Sale
- What is Uncle Mo Worth?
- Friesan Fire Colt Tops Midlantic at $825,000
- Fast Uncle Mo Filly Tops F-T Midlantic Sale
- So Far, Seven Pointing for Belmont Park
- Exaggerator, Nyquist Set for Belmont Rematch
- Exaggerator Turns the Tables, Wins Preakness