The outbreak of equine herpesvirus that temporarily closed Sunland Park was pronounced officially over March 9 after all facilities at the New Mexico track were cleared from quarantine.
Sunland Park has effectively canceled this year's editions of the Sunland Derby (gr. III) and the Sunland Park Oaks, both significant points races for the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) and the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I).
Sunland Park Racetrack & Casino earned reaccreditation from the National Thoroughbred Racing Association's Safety and Integrity Alliance, the NTRA announced March 19.
Sunland Park Racetrack and Casino begins an impressive $16 million live horse racing season Dec. 7 continuing through April 16.
The 2011-12 season at Sunland Park Racetrack and Casino ended with a total handle increase of nearly 5%, the track reported April 18.
Sunland Park Racetrack and Casino will distribute more than $19 million in purses during its live horse racing meet beginning Dec. 10 and running through April 19, 2011.
Sunland Park officials in Albuquerque announced May 29 that the track's premier race, formerly known as the WinStar Derby, will be renamed the Sunland Derby. It will carry an $800,000 purse with potential to reach $1 million.
Sunland Park set a single day handle record Feb. 3, when more than $2 million was wagered at the New Mexico racetrack.
Most Popular Stories
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - May 3, 2016
- Amoss Believes Lanerie Best Fit for Mo Tom
- NYRA Looking at Synthetic Track for Aqueduct
- Lani Breezes in Final Derby Preparation
- Nyquist's Groom Keeps Top Derby Horse Happy
- Zenyatta Bred to Medaglia d'Oro
- Nyquist Strong in First Churchill Gallop
- Danzing Candy, Trojan Nation Train in KY
- Yearlong Process to Set Derby Odds