The first two stakes for the 2009 Remington Park season drew outstanding nomination lists with plenty of star power and quality expected in the six-digit events.
First-crop sires Erlton, Planet Earth, and Touch Tone were represented by their first winners May 12.
City Street, a track-record-setter and –equaler in his two starts as a 2-year-old, has been retired from racing and will enter stud at Bullard Farms near Weatherford, Texas
Touch Tone, a 4-year-old stakes winner and grade I stakes-placed son of Pick Up the Phone, has been retired and will stand in 2003 at Jim Helzer's JEH Stallion Station near Pilot Point, Texas. He will stand for $2,500.
Sometimes, even horses that want to run long mature early. Such is the case with Tom Durant's Most Feared, who trainer Ronny Werner will send out Saturday in the Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I).
First crop sire Distorted Humor was represented by his first winner as a sire when his first starter, Awesome Humor, went wire-to-wire to earn a neck-length win in a 4 1/2-furlong maiden race at Keeneland Thursday.
Tom R. Durant's Lunar Bounty dueled with Binyamin and 4-5 favorite Storm Passage through the opening half-mile before pulling clear to a 2 1/2-length victory in the $133,750 Bashford Manor Stakes (gr. II) on Sunday at Churchill Downs.
A colt by Hennessy attracted a record bid of $150,000 from Tom Durant to highlight the opening day of the Fasig-Tipton Texas Yearling Sale Monday at Lone Star Park at Grand Prairie near Dallas.
Most Popular Stories
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Copper Bullet Out to Build Reputation in Bashford Manor
- New York Discusses Race-Day Lasix Rules
- Hill 'n' Dale Acquires Half Interest in Bubbler
- Fager to Deliver Thoroughbred Owner Conference Keynote
- Conrad Bandoroff Joins Denali Stud
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Ward Pleased With Stable's Royal Ascot Performance
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- F-T Saratoga Offering 12 From Scat Daddy's Last Crop