Irish-bred Century City got his elusive first United States victory Saturday in the $150,000 Turf Paradise Breeders' Cup Handicap for older grass horses in Phoenix.
Walkslikeaduck rallied in the stretch to win the $300,000 Del Mar Derby (gr. IIT) by 2 1/2 lengths Sunday at Del Mar. With Eddie Delahoussaye in the irons, the Patrick Gallagher trainee completed the 1 1/8 miles in 1:46.66 while racing over firm turf. The time equals the course record of 1:46 3/5 set when 5-year-old Al Mamoon won the 1986 Eddie Read Handicap (gr. IIT).
Over firm turf, Purely Cozzene led at every call of the $150,000 La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIIT) Saturday at Del Mar, completing the 1 1/16-mile race in 1:41.50 under David Flores.
A field of nine 3-year-old colts and geldings will contest the 1 1/16-mile La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIIT) to be run Saturday on Del Mar’s turf course.
Sporting $8-million in capital improvements, New York's Saratoga Racecourse began its 2000 season Wednesday with 27,810 patrons, a record for a July opening at the upstate oval.
On the West Coast, Del Mar kicked off its seaside meet with a crowd of 31,494, third-largest in track history.
Most Popular Stories
- Swipe at Belmont Preparing for His Return
- Cyrus Alexander Wins Lone Star Handicap
- Illuminant Upsets Wekeela in Gamely Stakes
- Creator Works, Set for Trip to New York
- Living The Life Beats Males in All American
- Exaggerator Gallops Lap Around Belmont Track
- Untapable Prepares for Start in Fleur de Lis
- Suddenbreakingnews Now 'Official Ridgling'
- 'Breaking' in a New Fan
- The Art of Exaggerator's Stud Deal