Back on their preferred surface after stints on the Triple Crown trail, Airoforce and Oscar Nominated have run well in multiple starts on turf, but have yet to find the winner's circle despite close calls.
Pacesetter My Afleet ran the race of his life Sept. 6 at Kentucky Downs as he denied highly regarded Medal Count in a thrilling finish to the $250,000 Dueling Grounds Derby on the turf at Kentucky Downs Sept. 6.
- By Tom LaMarra
Tom LaMarra and Frank Angst handicap the $400,000 Super Derby at Louisiana Downs. watch video
Spendthrift Farm's Medal Count, a close third in this year's Belmont Stakes (gr. I) and one-for-one on turf, will return to the grass Sept. 6 for the inaugural $250,000 Dueling Grounds Derby at Kentucky Downs.
The 2014 Kentucky Downs September meet will feature record purses in excess of $1 million per card for each of its five days. The Franklin, Ky., track will open Saturday, Sept. 6.
Most Popular Stories
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Gun Runner Rolls to Razorback Handicap Victory
- One Liner Laughs Last in Southwest Stakes Victory
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Grade 1 Winner Gormley Works Toward Next Start
- Consignors Bullish on Fasig-Tipton Gulfstream Sale
- White Beauty Lineage
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Laurel Park to Introduce Fans to Ownership Experience