Country Day, a three-time stakes winner, has been retired from racing after he came down with a stress fracture during a recent workout at Churchill Downs.
Due Date, a turf sprint specialist who won two consecutive stakes at Fair Grounds, has been retired from racing for stallion duty at Peach Lane Farms near Opelousas, La.
A long list of winners from a weekend of racing! ArchArchArch and Mucho Macho Man. View Slideshow
Silver Timber took a different route than he did last year, but the result was the same in the $100,000 Woodford (gr. IIIT), as he came off the pace to win the turf sprint Oct. 9 at Keeneland.
Silver Timber, in a no-holds-barred speed duel with even-money favorite Heroes Reward from the very start, finally inched clear of his rival in upper stretch and held on for a narrow victory in the $156,000 Jaipur Stakes (gr. IIIT) on the Belmont turf July 18.
Heroes Reward, a graded stakes winner on turf in each of the last three years, will tote top weight of 124 pounds as the likely favorite for the $150,000 Jaipur Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Belmont Park July 18.
Favored Chamberlain Bridge, a former claimer that had lost two in a row, overcame a rough start and bounced back in the $112,800 Aegon Turf Sprint Stakes (gr. IIIT) May 1 at Churchill Downs. He charged down the stretch late and held off the rallying Cannonball by a neck.
Cannonball and Chamberlain Bridge, who were heads apart while finishing second and third, respectively, in the April 11 Shakertown (gr. IIIT) at Keeneland, should be set up perfectly for a run at the $100,000 Aegon Turf Sprint on May 1 at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 3-year-olds
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- Kettle Corn to Stand in Ohio at Fair Winds
- Records on the Line in Final Native Diver Run
- Lucayan Well-Spotted in Hollywood Turf Cup
- String King to Try Dirt at Fair Grounds
- Kentucky Steps Toward Medication Uniformity
- Drug Testing Not Without Its Challenges
- Aftercare Alliance Awards $1M in Grants
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29