A Facebook-like Web site for Thoroughbreds has partnered with Equibase to track future racing careers through its Virtual Stable.
Consignors at the Keeneland September yearling sale were bracing themselves for one of the most daunting auction challenges of 2009: Finding new homes for thousands of young horses at a time when the weak economy is causing buyer demand for Thoroughbreds to shrink. Buyers, meanwhile, were excited about the prospect of bargains.
Previous to the start of this year's yearling auction season, there was speculation that pinhookers " purchasers of yearlings resale at 2-year-old auctions next year " would not be as active in the past. Based on Monday's results from the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky yearling sale, the pinhooking profession is alive and well, with two relative newcomers to the resale game among the most active buyers.
Most Popular Stories
- Sherman: Ascot Could Be Rough on 'Chrome'
- California Chrome Headed to Royal Ascot
- From Turf to Dirt, Bolo Targets SA Derby
- Prince Bishop Denies U.S. Runners in Dubai
- Pereira Taken to Hospital After SA Spill
- Unbeaten Materiality Secures Florida Derby
- American Pharoah Tops KDFW Pool 4
- Materiality New KY Derby Shooter for Pletcher
- Mubtaahij Easily Earns Kentucky Derby Spot
- 'Pharoah' Speedy in First Workout After Rebel