A Facebook-like Web site for Thoroughbreds has partnered with Equibase to track future racing careers through its Virtual Stable.
Consignors at the Keeneland September yearling sale were bracing themselves for one of the most daunting auction challenges of 2009: Finding new homes for thousands of young horses at a time when the weak economy is causing buyer demand for Thoroughbreds to shrink. Buyers, meanwhile, were excited about the prospect of bargains.
Previous to the start of this year's yearling auction season, there was speculation that pinhookers " purchasers of yearlings resale at 2-year-old auctions next year " would not be as active in the past. Based on Monday's results from the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky yearling sale, the pinhooking profession is alive and well, with two relative newcomers to the resale game among the most active buyers.
Most Popular Stories
- Trainer Baird Reaches Win 2,000
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Keen Ice Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Curlin Colt Sells for $350,000 at F-T October
- Cinco Charlie to Spendthrift Farm
- Arc Winner Found Could Run in BC Classic
- Tapit Colt Late Withdrawal from F-T Sale
- California Chrome Powerful Late in BC Drill
- Malibu Moon Filly Sells for $300,000 at F-T
- Inside the Magical Kingdom of Ballydoyle