Graded stakes winner Major Gain has been retired from racing and will stand the 2016 breeding season at McMahon of Saratoga Thoroughbreds in New York.
Kentucky shipper Room Service, the only grade I winner in the field, overpowered the leaders in the drive for the wire to tally impressively in the $350,000 American Oaks (gr. IT) May 31 on the Santa Anita turf.
Room Service appreciated some extra ground as she rallied from last to first to deny favored Candy Kitty in the $100,000 Herecomesthebride Stakes (gr. IIIT) March 2 on the Gulfstream Park turf.
Odds-on choice Pommes Frites notched her fifth win of the year in sharp fashion Sunday, sweeping past the pacesetter Virden mid-stretch and rolling to victory in the $112,300 Athenia Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares on the Belmont Park inner turf course.
Malcolm E. Parrish's 3-year-old, Irish-bred Chaibia finished a respectable fourth in last month's Garden City Breeders' Cup (gr. IT) at Belmont Park. Sunday, she'll tackle older horses for the first time in the 29th running of the $100,000 Athenia Handicap (gr. IIIT) at 1 1/16 miles.
John Bowers Jr.'s New Jersey homebred Smart N Classy, winless in five starts this season for trainer John Tammaro III, seeks a repeat of her victory last year in the $150,000 Eatontown Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Monmouth Park Saturday.
Gary Tanaka's Hallowed Dream, a winner of her last three starts on the Santa Anita lawn for trainer Ben Cecil, shipped to Northern California to take the closing day $125,625 Yerba Buena Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) with a superb effort at Golden Gate Fields Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Japan Gets a NY Filly as His First Foal
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- Finest City Entered for 2017 Debut in Santa Monica
- Southwest the Next Target for Uncontested
- Uncle Lino Back to Work at Santa Anita
- Awesome Slew Stands Out in Sunshine Millions Classic
- Strong Racing Stable Has Oxley Looking Forward
- Eclipse Awards to be Televised on TVG2
- Sunshine Millions Cuts After FTBOA Withholds Payment
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm