Dam of 2011 Japanese Horse of the Year Orfevre died March 4 after delivering a full sister to the son of Stay Gold.
With a powerful late burst, outsider Nakayama Festa nabbed favorite Buena Vista in the final strides to win the $3.1 million Takarazuka Kinen (Jpn-I), Japan's grand prix race to conclude the spring racing season June 27.
For the second year in a row, top race mare Vodka was voted Horse of the Year in Japan, becoming the first female to win the title twice.
Dream Journey gave Kenichi Ikezoe the ride of his life at Nakayama Racecourse Dec. 27 when he defeated favored Buena Vista to capture the season-ending grade I Arima Kinen (Grand Prix).
Most Popular Stories
- Sherman: Ascot Could Be Rough on 'Chrome'
- From Turf to Dirt, Bolo Targets SA Derby
- Pereira Taken to Hospital After SA Spill
- American Pharoah Tops KDFW Pool 4
- California Chrome Headed to Royal Ascot
- Prince Bishop Denies U.S. Runners in Dubai
- Materiality New KY Derby Shooter for Pletcher
- Daredevil, Frosted Post Final Works for Wood
- 'Pharoah' Speedy in First Workout After Rebel
- Unbeaten Materiality Secures Florida Derby