American Lion, winner of this year's Illinois Derby (gr. III) and the 2009 Hollywood Prevue Stakes (gr. III) has been retired from racing, it was announced Sept. 3.
With WinStar Farm's management team on hand, Illinois Derby (gr. II) winner American Lion tuned up for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) with a workout April 20 over the Polytrack at Keeneland.
Median price holds steady during the auction, which was held Feb. 8 in Lexington.
Broodmare prospect is the highest-priced horse sold so far at the Kentucky winter mixed sale.
Most Popular Stories
- El Niño Could Present Triple Crown Challenge
- 'Kobe', 'Salutos' Meet in Palos Verdes
- Kentucky-Bred Champion Nominees Announced
- First Reported Foal for Strong Mandate
- Pedigree Analysis: Rock Sand
- Easy Win for Frosted in First Meydan Start
- 49 Horses Confirmed With EHV in New Mexico
- Aqueduct Cancels Live Racing Friday, Feb. 5
- First Foal for Stallion Can the Man a Colt
- Seek Again to Shuttle to Argentina