American Lion, winner of this year's Illinois Derby (gr. III) and the 2009 Hollywood Prevue Stakes (gr. III) has been retired from racing, it was announced Sept. 3.
With WinStar Farm's management team on hand, Illinois Derby (gr. II) winner American Lion tuned up for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) with a workout April 20 over the Polytrack at Keeneland.
Median price holds steady during the auction, which was held Feb. 8 in Lexington.
Broodmare prospect is the highest-priced horse sold so far at the Kentucky winter mixed sale.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Making the Grade: Exaggerator's Belmont Shot
- Woodward, Hancock to Racing Hall of Fame
- Nine Honored at Walk of Champions Gala
- Court Order Has Preciado Racing Again at Parx
- Uncle Mo Filly Brings $1 Million at F-T Sale
- Centeno Recovering in Florida After Spill