Future Prospect and Haynesfield are the stars and Naughty New Yorker is the sentimental favorite, but contention will run deep Oct. 24 when 11 colts and geldings and one filly line up for the $250,000 Empire Classic at Belmont Park.
Now a Victor stalked the pace under John Velazquez and then wore down longtime leader Shopton Lane in the final sixteenth of a mile to take the $100,000 Discovery Handicap (gr. III) by a length on the main track at Aqueduct on Nov. 24.
Trainer Dominic Galluscio had a sense of deja vu as he stood in the winner's circle following the $250,000 Empire Classic at Belmont Park Oct. 20. Last year, Galluscio posted an upset with Organizer. This year, he pulled off another Classic surprise with Dr. V's Magic, who was 15-1.
Vinery Stables' Chief's Lake, making his second start in eight months, scored a 3 1/4-length victory Sunday in the $107,700 Mike Lee for New York-breds at seven furlongs.
Hall of Fame jockey Kent Desormeaux powered Majesty Stud's Dr. V's Magic to three-length victory in the $75,000 Spectacular Bid Division of the New York Stallion Stakes for 3-year-olds at a mile to complete a sweep of the Belmont Park stakes races Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Miss Temple City Scores Matriarch by a Nose
- Bangkok Upsets Melmich in Valedictory
- Paco Lopez Rides Winner No. 2,000
- Laoban Works Toward Return
- 'Chance' First Black-Type Winner for Skipshot
- Annals of Time Surges to Win Hollywood Derby
- California Chrome Logs Work for 'Challenge'
- Arrogate-'Chrome' Match Race in Pegasus?
- Changing Schedules Impacted Wood, Blue Grass
- Departing Retired to Claiborne Farm