The Racing Medication and Testing Consortium sponsored an equine racing chemist workshop to foster uniformity in drug testing of the androgenic anabolic steroids from April 27-30 at the University of California at Davis.
The Kentucky Racing Commission has approved extensive drug testing in conjunction with the American Graded Stakes Committee mandate that it be implemented in order for stakes to retain their grades.
The chairman of the Kentucky Racing Commission says an investigation of a personal services contract awarded for a review of drug research is an attack on the racing commission and Thoroughbred industry in the state.
The Kentucky Racing Commission, apparently at the urging of the state Equine Drug Council, has hired Dr. Richard Sams of Ohio State University to serve as a consultant on medication and drug-testing issues.
The Kentucky Racing Commission said June 25 it would consider at its next meeting in September a motion to make the possession or use of erythropoietin, known as EPO, a prohibited practice.
Kentucky's Equine Drug Council has identified research into furosemide (Salix) use and quantification as the top priority for 2002, but the council on Wednesday decided proposed research projects and its budget for next year required further review.
The Kentucky Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association has strongly urged the Kentucky Racing Commission to perform due diligence before it hires a consultant to evaluate the state's equine drug testing program.
Samples collected from horses that breezed at the Fasig-Tipton Calder under-tack show Feb. 18 contained no performance-enhancing medication, test results showed.
Most Popular Stories
- Road to the Kentucky Derby Schedule Announced
- Plesa Hoping to Get Lucky in Woodward
- Stephanie's Kitten to be Offered at F-T Sale
- Kentucky Downs Adds 16 Stable Cameras
- Second Purse Hike at Ohio's ThistleDown
- Big Drama Colt Leads OBS Select Session
- TOBA August Member of the Month
- Magic Touch: Human Therapist Helps Racehorses
- Travers Upset: V. E. Day Over Wicked Strong
- Limitations and Advances in Lameness Assessment