Before May 28, Willcox Inn was best known as a horse whose lone win came against Kentucky Derby winner Animal Kingdom. But in scoring the Arlington Classic, the son of Harlan's Holiday is beginning to write his own legacy.
Dr. John A. Chandler's homebred Seaspeak made quick work of his five overmatched rivals in the $200,000 Dallas Turf Cup (gr. IIIT) May 25 at Lone Star Park, taking over after a half-mile and romping to a 4 3/4-length victory under Julien Leparoux.
Seaspeak and Amazing Results, both victims of bad racing luck last month at Keeneland, will each try to change their fortunes at Churchill Downs Nov. 9 when they go to post in the $100,000-added Commonwealth Turf (gr. IIIT), a 1 1/16-mile test for 3-year-olds.
Veteran grass star Cetewayo is the 118-pound high weight in a tough field of 12 entered for the $300,000 Kentucky Cup Turf Handicap (gr. III) at Kentucky Downs, a 1 1/2-mile test that headlines a series of four turf races at the Franklin track Saturday.
Michael Dickinson-trained Cetewayo earned his first victory since the 1999 Riggs Handicap, winning the $150,000 Red Smith Handicap over an Aqueduct turf course labeled good.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Again Horse of the Year
- One More Time: California Chrome Sizzles in Final Work
- Arrogate Logs Final Pegasus Work
- Castellano Scores Fourth Straight Eclipse as Top Jockey
- Beholder Goes Out a Champion, Earns Fourth Eclipse
- Still in Tune, Songbird Earns Second Straight Eclipse
- California Chrome Named Champion Older Dirt Male
- Finest City Dazzles in Santa Monica
- Arrogate, Flintshire Power Juddmonte to Owner Eclipse
- Lord Nelson Fighting Laminitis, to Miss Breeding Season