Before May 28, Willcox Inn was best known as a horse whose lone win came against Kentucky Derby winner Animal Kingdom. But in scoring the Arlington Classic, the son of Harlan's Holiday is beginning to write his own legacy.
Dr. John A. Chandler's homebred Seaspeak made quick work of his five overmatched rivals in the $200,000 Dallas Turf Cup (gr. IIIT) May 25 at Lone Star Park, taking over after a half-mile and romping to a 4 3/4-length victory under Julien Leparoux.
Seaspeak and Amazing Results, both victims of bad racing luck last month at Keeneland, will each try to change their fortunes at Churchill Downs Nov. 9 when they go to post in the $100,000-added Commonwealth Turf (gr. IIIT), a 1 1/16-mile test for 3-year-olds.
Veteran grass star Cetewayo is the 118-pound high weight in a tough field of 12 entered for the $300,000 Kentucky Cup Turf Handicap (gr. III) at Kentucky Downs, a 1 1/2-mile test that headlines a series of four turf races at the Franklin track Saturday.
Michael Dickinson-trained Cetewayo earned his first victory since the 1999 Riggs Handicap, winning the $150,000 Red Smith Handicap over an Aqueduct turf course labeled good.
Most Popular Stories
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- Destin Work is 'Stamina Builder' for Belmont
- Kentucky Suspends Umarov for 10 Years
- Rockingham to End All Operations Aug. 31
- Velasquez to Ride Full-Time at Gulfstream
- Candy Ride Colt Tops Barretts Sale
- Little Nappy is Shackleford's First Winner
- Taris Could Opt for Triple Bend Over Vanity
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont