Before May 28, Willcox Inn was best known as a horse whose lone win came against Kentucky Derby winner Animal Kingdom. But in scoring the Arlington Classic, the son of Harlan's Holiday is beginning to write his own legacy.
Dr. John A. Chandler's homebred Seaspeak made quick work of his five overmatched rivals in the $200,000 Dallas Turf Cup (gr. IIIT) May 25 at Lone Star Park, taking over after a half-mile and romping to a 4 3/4-length victory under Julien Leparoux.
Seaspeak and Amazing Results, both victims of bad racing luck last month at Keeneland, will each try to change their fortunes at Churchill Downs Nov. 9 when they go to post in the $100,000-added Commonwealth Turf (gr. IIIT), a 1 1/16-mile test for 3-year-olds.
Veteran grass star Cetewayo is the 118-pound high weight in a tough field of 12 entered for the $300,000 Kentucky Cup Turf Handicap (gr. III) at Kentucky Downs, a 1 1/2-mile test that headlines a series of four turf races at the Franklin track Saturday.
Michael Dickinson-trained Cetewayo earned his first victory since the 1999 Riggs Handicap, winning the $150,000 Red Smith Handicap over an Aqueduct turf course labeled good.
Most Popular Stories
- Hill 'n' Dale Acquires Half Interest in Bubbler
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- Quality Over Quantity in Fasig-Tipton Saratoga Catalog
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- Street Surrender, Roman Secure First Stakes Win
- Ward Pleased With Stable's Royal Ascot Performance
- Durkin to Lead Personalized Tours of Hall of Fame
- Lady Eli, Cloud Computing Among Workers for Brown
- Society's Chairman Continues Beating the Odds