A new study funded by the USTA is designed to determine whether the naturally occurring mineral cobalt, when administered in larger, regular doses, has blood-doping qualities and could enhance performance.
- By Tom LaMarra
United States Trotting Association-funded research into cobalt has resulted in a regulatory testing threshold of 70 parts per billion, the organization said Sept. 30.
The United States Trotting Association said June 16 it will fund a project designed to develop regulatory controls for the use of cobalt in racehorses.
- By Tom LaMarra
The sensitivity of equine drug testing is a big plus for the racing industry, but it also has created confusion. How are the public and media supposed to understand when some industry participants can't make sense of it?
After nearly four decades, New York's Cornell University is moving to close its world-famous equine drug-testing laboratory. An equine science program at a state university 70 miles up the road is eagerly willing to take over, and expand, an operation vital to the state's horse industry.
A seminar focused on drug testing and the prosecution of a medication case will be the focus of the Racing Officials Accreditation Programfs second annual Officiating Horse Racing Conference at the University of Arizona Race Track Industry Programfs Symposium on Racing and Gaming.
The New York Racing Association, in conjunction with the New York Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association, will fund additional research and development into improved equine testing for performance enhancing substances.
- By Tom Precious
New York is poised to become the first state to begin testing horses for blood-doping antibodies used to enhance performance, New York State Racing and Wagering Board officials have announced.
Most Popular Stories
- Albarado Fractures Ankle, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Pricey Filly Tops OBS Pinhook Prospects
- Dolphus Outruns Quality Field at Aqueduct
- Reach the World Euthanized After Training Injury
- J Boys Echo Breezes Five Furlongs at Churchill
- Party Boat Upsets Fifty Five in Memories of Silver
- Imperative Repeats in Charles Town Classic
- Southern Ring Speeds to Whimsical Victory
- Collected Impresses Again in Californian