The former trainer will replace Dr. Gary Lavin, who is retiring, on the yearling inspection team.
A group of equine veterinarians have formed the Equine Health and Welfare Alliance, which will be "dedicated to the proper care and maintenance of the horse and all equines," according to a release.
Six equine research projects totaling nearly $400,000 over a two-year period have been approved by the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission following a recommendation from the Equine Drug Research Council.
The Grayson-Jockey Club Research Foundation will celebrate the 20th anniversary of its creation when it hosts a fundraising celebration at the Keeneland Entertainment Center in Lexington, Ky. Oct. 16.
On Kentucky Derby Day, the Equine Wellness Foundation donated $10,000 to the Barbaro Fund at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center. The funds will support research on laminitis, which ultimately was responsible for Barbaro's death in January 2007.
James G. "Jimmy" Bell was elected to Keeneland's Board of Directors at the corporation's semi-annual meeting April 18. He is the president of Darley USA and the son of John A. Bell III, a longtime Keeneland board member who died in February.
In the wake of controversy concerning its new medication regulations, the Kentucky Equine Drug Research Council has formed two standing sub-committees to oversee the next phase of integrating the new race-day medication regulations. The two new committees, which will report back to the council, are charged with developing medication withdrawal guidelines and better defining permissible medications.
Shoppers found it tough to buy, and many consignors were happy with the results.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Chrome' Set for Pa. Derby Comeback
- Big Blue Kitten Back in Jersey's Cliff Hanger
- Shared Belief Favored in Pacific Classic
- TVG to Have Enhanced Pacific Classic Coverage
- Tapestry Upsets Taghrooda in Yorkshire Oaks
- Champion Benny the Bull to Bridlewood in 2015
- That Handicapping Show: Travers Stakes
- Second Sporting Art Auction in November
- Handicapping a Fantastic Travers Day
- Vergara Wins Inaugural Apprentice Competition