Whywhywhy won the Flash Stakes (gr. III) at Belmont Friday, a race marred by a spill in which Renegade Warrior apparently broke down, and then Windsor Lodge fell over him. Both jockeys, Ramon Dominguez on Renegade Warrior and John Velazquez aboard Windsor Lodge, were conscious and walking after the horrific episode.
With eight juvenile colts going in the five-furlong Flash Stakes (gr. III), anything can happen.
After getting off to a relatively slow start, trainer Ronny Werner swept both maiden races for 2-year-olds run at Keeneland Thursday and Friday. The two wins improve Werner's record with first-time starters at the Lexington track the last two years to seven wins from 10 starts.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Takes Haskell With Ease
- Records Fall on Haskell Day at Monmouth Park
- Rachel's Valentina Sparkles in Debut
- 'Maria' Upstages Champ Untapable in Shuvee
- Sharp American Pharoah Ready for Return
- Gimme Da Lute Dominates Real Good Deal
- Texas Red, Frosted Likely to Meet in Travers
- Jim Dandy: Texas Red Denies Frosted
- American Pharoah Takes the Haskell
- Palace Malice Earns Bullet in Saratoga Breeze