A year after the death of racehorse John Henry, fans now have a lasting monument and a dedicated place to remember their champion. A bronze statue by artist Shelley Hunter has taken its place at John's gravesite, just outside the Kentucky Horse Park's Hall of Champions paddock that John called home for 22 of his 32 years.
John Henry garnered nearly 4,000 votes in a poll held by www.kentucky.com and the Lexington Herald-Leader, narrowly defeating pastor Jon Weece to win the "Most Intriguing Kentucky Newsmaker of 2007," it was announced Dec. 28.
Sam Rubin, who raced two-time Horse of the Year John Henry, died Feb. 13 in Palm Beach, Fla.
Most Popular Stories
- Keeneland Begins Installation of Dirt Surface
- Maybry's Boy to E.A. Ranches
- Texas AG Asked to Rule on Historical Racing
- Enhanced Security for Whitney, Travers Horses
- My Option, La Tia Tangle in Ontario Matron
- Tonalist Looks Tough in Jim Dandy Stakes
- Tonalist, Wicked Strong Headline Jim Dandy
- Queen's Horse Tests Positive for Morphine
- Dance With Fate Off the Bench for San Diego
- Record Breakers Headed for Del Mar Debutante