A year after the death of racehorse John Henry, fans now have a lasting monument and a dedicated place to remember their champion. A bronze statue by artist Shelley Hunter has taken its place at John's gravesite, just outside the Kentucky Horse Park's Hall of Champions paddock that John called home for 22 of his 32 years.
John Henry garnered nearly 4,000 votes in a poll held by www.kentucky.com and the Lexington Herald-Leader, narrowly defeating pastor Jon Weece to win the "Most Intriguing Kentucky Newsmaker of 2007," it was announced Dec. 28.
Sam Rubin, who raced two-time Horse of the Year John Henry, died Feb. 13 in Palm Beach, Fla.
Most Popular Stories
- Dutchess Views Lowers Fee for Big Brown
- NY Again Considers Continuing Ed for Trainers
- Pure Sensation Questionable for HK Sprint
- Arrogate Works Toward Seasonal Bow
- Able Friend Out to Regain Hong Kong Glory
- BC Juvenile Winner Texas Red Retired
- American Gal, Union Strike Meet in Starlet
- Retired Valet Ward Dies in Kentucky
- Resilient Humor Debut Winner for Sassy Image
- Firing Line to Crestwood