Thoroughbred trainer Anthony Basile of Lexington, Ky., passed away on Jan. 22 at 82 while wintering in Hallandale, Fla. Basile, who trained for nearly 20 years, primarily for the late Millard A. Waldheim's Bwamazon Farm, campaigned stakes winners Coraggioso, T.V. Commercial and It's Freezing, among others.
The number of 2002 foals nominated to the Breeders' Cup program is down 8% from last year, largely due to mare reproductive loss syndrome, which resulted in the loss of nearly 20% of the pregnancies of Kentucky-based mares when it swept through the region in the spring of 2001.
Most Popular Stories
- Borells Charged With Animal Cruelty
- Probe Into Abandoned Horses Continues
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- VA-Bred Owners' Bonus Program Begins July 1
- Lady Shipman Stands Tall in Highlander
- Danzing Candy to Make First Start for Baffert
- Family Tree Scores in Iowa Oaks
- Rachel's Valentina Returns in Mother Goose
- 'Ghost' Takes on Males in Queen's Plate
- Litfin at Large: The Mother Goose