Thoroughbred trainer Anthony Basile of Lexington, Ky., passed away on Jan. 22 at 82 while wintering in Hallandale, Fla. Basile, who trained for nearly 20 years, primarily for the late Millard A. Waldheim's Bwamazon Farm, campaigned stakes winners Coraggioso, T.V. Commercial and It's Freezing, among others.
The number of 2002 foals nominated to the Breeders' Cup program is down 8% from last year, largely due to mare reproductive loss syndrome, which resulted in the loss of nearly 20% of the pregnancies of Kentucky-based mares when it swept through the region in the spring of 2001.
Most Popular Stories
- Social Inclusion to Move to Chad Brown
- Montana Jockey Seriously Injured in Spill
- Equibase Announces Redesigned Website
- Shadwell Turf Mile to Offer $1 Million Purse
- Ashford's Shanghai Bobby to Shuttle to Brazil
- RCI to Consider Horses-in-Training Rules
- Palace Malice Hoping to Continue His Roll
- The Week in Photos for 7/29/2014
- Prominent Sire Beau Genius Dies at 29
- WGOH: Patience Is Shah's Virtue