Despite the long hours, significant time spent apart, and the challenges of being based in a state with a racing and breeding program that struggles to compete with its neighbors, the Keens would not trade their career choice or their location.
Mexikoma, a stakes-winning son of Birdstone, has been retired to stud and will stand his first season at Dallas and Donna Keen's Keen Farms in Burleson, Texas. He will stand for a $1,000 fee as property of the Keens.
Porfido, a three-time group 1 winner in his native Chile, has been retired to Old Friends in Georgetown, Ky. Porfido (Mash One--Piazza Venezia, by Roy) started 79 times in his career, winning 15 races, seven in Chile.
Ten broodmares at a Texas livestock auction that is frequented by kill buyers were shipped there by Keith Asmussen's Asmussen Horse Center July 7.
- By Esther Marr
After a near-death experience last year, horsewoman Carmel Heitzman decided to run the Mardi Gras Marathon and raised more than $8,500 for Remember Me Rescue. read blog
Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots announced Jan. 13 a $2,500 gift to two locally active rescue organizations helping to relocate more than 40 neglected horses discovered last week at a farm near Many, La.
Most Popular Stories
- Ascend, Bigger Picture to Clash in Bowling Green
- Successful Sire City Zip Dead at 19
- Look Back: Bernardini's Dandy Score at Saratoga
- Jockey Flores Plans to Retire From Riding
- Always Dreaming, Cloud Computing Head Jim Dandy
- Dual Oaks winner Enable Steps Up in King George
- Looking for Longshots at Saratoga
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Paulassilverlining Shows Her Mettle in Honorable Miss
- Drefong Set for 2017 Debut in Bing Crosby