The Don MacBeth Memorial Jockey Fund has donated $70,000 to The Jockey Club Safety Net Foundation to provide assistance to jockeys and exercise riders.
Jockeys riding in the $1-million Shadwell Travers Stakes (gr. I) have pledged 10% of their purse earnings from the race to establish a fund for 23-year-old apprentice jockey Michael Straight, who was critically injured in a fall at Arlington Park Aug. 26.
Woodford Reserve has donated the proceeds from its $1,000 Mint Julep program to Thoroughbred Charities of America, it was announced Dec. 21. The Midway-based non-profit received $116,337 from sales of the limited edition cups.
Ray Sibille, who rode 4,264 winners in a 35-year career before his retirement last July, is the winner of the 2005 George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award, Santa Anita Park announced Sunday.
Racing and breeding news and information.
Most Popular Stories
- Blue Grass Runner-Up Medal Count Derby Bound
- Game On Dude Arrives for Charles Town Classic
- Fillies Sparkle in Furlong Drills at OBS
- Barretts May Sale Catalog Now Online
- Champion Producer My Flag Dies at Claiborne
- 2014 Stallion Showcase
- Haskin: Art Sherman, Dave Erb 'Swap' Stories
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 4/14/2014
- 'A Not-To-Be-Missed Uptown Society Event'
- Hamilton Joins Darby Dan Farm