The Don MacBeth Memorial Jockey Fund has donated $70,000 to The Jockey Club Safety Net Foundation to provide assistance to jockeys and exercise riders.
Jockeys riding in the $1-million Shadwell Travers Stakes (gr. I) have pledged 10% of their purse earnings from the race to establish a fund for 23-year-old apprentice jockey Michael Straight, who was critically injured in a fall at Arlington Park Aug. 26.
Woodford Reserve has donated the proceeds from its $1,000 Mint Julep program to Thoroughbred Charities of America, it was announced Dec. 21. The Midway-based non-profit received $116,337 from sales of the limited edition cups.
Ray Sibille, who rode 4,264 winners in a 35-year career before his retirement last July, is the winner of the 2005 George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award, Santa Anita Park announced Sunday.
Racing and breeding news and information.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Unlocking Winners Kentucky Derby 142 Analysis
- Team Optimistic, Nyquist 'Full of Energy'
- Nancy From Nairobi Wins Royal Heroine
- Repole Returns With Outwork for Uncle Mo
- Beholder to Make 2016 Debut in Adoration
- Big Blue Kitten Heads Woodford Turf Classic
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Bensons Hope to Let Good Times Roll in Derby