California-bred filly Shaggy Mane took command soon after the start of Saturday's $300,000 Sunshine Millions Filly & Mare Sprint at Gulfstream Park and never looked back under jockey Mark Guidry, romping home a 7 3/4-length winner at odds of nearly 9-to-1.
Singletary, winner of the 2004 NetJets Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) and an earner of better than $1.75 million in his race career, will enter stud at Cardiff Stud Farms near Atascadero, Ca., where his 2006 fee will be $5,000.
Julie Krone resumed her riding career Wednesday after an absence of nearly two months but did not win a race in three attempts. In the feature, Singletary won the $71,350 Thunder Road Handicap.
La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIIT) winner Singletary will head to the sidelines for the remainder of the year following the bay son of Sultry Song's fifth-place finish in the Del Mar Derby (gr. IIT) on Sept. 6, trainer Don Chatlos Jr. said .
Singletary, the probable favorite in the $100,000-added Will Rogers Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds goint one mile on turf Sunday, is named after Mike Singletary, Hall of Fame linebacker for the Chicago Bears.
Most Popular Stories
- Injury Knocks Constitution Off Derby Trail
- Champion Producer My Flag Dies at Claiborne
- Blue Grass Runner-Up Medal Count Derby Bound
- Game On Dude Arrives for Charles Town Classic
- Haskin: Art Sherman, Dave Erb 'Swap' Stories
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 4/14/2014
- 2014 Stallion Showcase
- Animal Disease Tracking Map Launched
- 'A Not-To-Be-Missed Uptown Society Event'
- Fillies Sparkle in Furlong Drills at OBS