Riding the River, Canada's reigning male champion grass performer, successfully defended his title in the King Edward Stakes (Can-IIT) at Woodbine June 23 with a late surge to nip Valentino Beauty and the late-charging Hotep.
Shut off while making a move for the lead in the stretch, Riding the River dipped to the inside for racing room and emerged with a 9-1 upset win in the $318,180 Nijinsky Stakes (Can-IIT) July 22 on the Woodbine turf course.
The Fasig-Tipton Kentucky fall yearling sale isn't glamorous. It comes at the end of the yearling selling season, so it generally doesn't attract the best of the available stock. But, in recent years, it has become a prime source of Kentucky Derby Presented By Yum! Brand (gr. I) winners.
Mine That Bird earned his fourth consecutive win Oct. 5 at Woodbine when he edged pacesetter Bear's Conductor by a half-length in the $232,100 Grey Breeders' Cup Stakes (Can-III) for 2-year-olds.
Lady Shari staked her claim as Canada's top 3-year-old filly with a resounding win in Saturday's $247,750 Maple Leaf Stakes (gr. III), the complement feature race on Coronation Futurity day at Woodbine.
Most Popular Stories
- Wicked Strong to Sit Out Rest of Year
- Wise Dan Faces Stiff Shadwell Turf Mile Test
- New England Horsemen Submit Dates Application
- Classy Yanks vs. Euro Invaders in Hill Prince
- Better Lucky Seeks to Repeat in First Lady
- Hashtag Bourbon Tough in Breeders' Futurity
- Atreides Gets Distance Test in Indiana Derby
- Small Foal Crops Will Challenge Racing
- RRP Thoroughbred Makeover
- Marchman Returns From Short Rest in Woodford