Dominion Bloodstock and Barry Butzer's Thatlookonyerface split rivals in the shadow of the wire to win a photo over Bear'sway in the $150,000 Marine Stakes (Can-III) May 14 at Woodbine.
Riding the River, Canada's reigning male champion grass performer, successfully defended his title in the King Edward Stakes (Can-IIT) at Woodbine June 23 with a late surge to nip Valentino Beauty and the late-charging Hotep.
Shut off while making a move for the lead in the stretch, Riding the River dipped to the inside for racing room and emerged with a 9-1 upset win in the $318,180 Nijinsky Stakes (Can-IIT) July 22 on the Woodbine turf course.
The Fasig-Tipton Kentucky fall yearling sale isn't glamorous. It comes at the end of the yearling selling season, so it generally doesn't attract the best of the available stock. But, in recent years, it has become a prime source of Kentucky Derby Presented By Yum! Brand (gr. I) winners.
Mine That Bird earned his fourth consecutive win Oct. 5 at Woodbine when he edged pacesetter Bear's Conductor by a half-length in the $232,100 Grey Breeders' Cup Stakes (Can-III) for 2-year-olds.
Lady Shari staked her claim as Canada's top 3-year-old filly with a resounding win in Saturday's $247,750 Maple Leaf Stakes (gr. III), the complement feature race on Coronation Futurity day at Woodbine.
Most Popular Stories
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Kentucky Derby Starters Reunite in Ohio Derby
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- Lady Aurelia Overpowers Males in King's Stand