Cot Campbell has enjoyed a long and distinguished career in Thoroughbred ownership, and looks to add the Kentucky Derby to the Preakness Stakes he banked with Summer Squall 23 years ago.
Mary Lee-Butte, executive director of the Blue Grass Farms Chaplaincy, is the winner of the 2009 Dogwood Dominion Award, which is given by Dogwood Stables. She is the 17th recipient of honor, which annually recognizes one of racing's "unsung heroes." She will receive $5,000 and a bronze statue of the former Dogwood runner Dominion at a luncheon at the Reading Rooms in Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
Vincent "Vinnie" Garibaldi, an 81-year-old former longshoreman who is now an Ocala, Fla.-based horse farm worker, is this year's winner of the Dogwood Dominion Award.
Phyllis Shetron, an advocate for the backstretch worker, a founding member of the Finger Lakes Thoroughbred Adoption Program, and a trainer, is the 2007 winner of the Dogwood Dominion Award.
Volponi, winner of the 2002 Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I), and grade II winner Monarch's Maze were represented by their first winners June 21.
Dogwood Stable is now accepting nominations for its annual Dogwood Dominion Award for an unsung hero in the Thoroughbred industry. Nominations should be received no later than June 28.
Most Popular Stories
- Midnight Lucky Out of F&M Sprint, Retired
- Ruler of The World to Coolmore Stud for 2015
- Mr. Besilu to Texas' Eureka Thoroughbred Farm
- Moreno in Sharp Breeders' Cup Classic Drill
- Dayatthespa Silenced All Doubters
- Don't Tell Sophia, Ria Antonia Drill for BC
- Presque Isle Horsemen Payments Delayed
- WinStar Buys Half Interest in Daredevil
- HRRN Plans 17 Hours of Breeders' Cup Coverage
- Pedigree Analysis: Pivotal Point