Turbo Launch, whose grandson Point Given was a Horse of the Year, died June 5 at Dr. Tom Bowman's farm in Maryland.
California owner Sal Longo, whose racemare Lazy Slusan won two grade I stakes, died Oct. 16 at his Arcadia, Calif., home.
Irisheyesareflying earned his second career graded stakes win Saturday in the $100,000 Berkeley Handicap (gr. III) at Golden Gate Fields.
California-bred Irisheyesareflying tracked pacesetter Handy N Bold through moderate fractions, then drew away from that rival in the stretch to win Sunday's $250,000 Longacres Mile Handicap (gr. III) at Emerald Downs.
If there were any doubts about who's queen of the hill out West these days, Lazy Slusan put 'em on ice on June 3, running away with the $254,300 Milady Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. I) at 1 1/16 miles.
California-bred Lazy Slusan rallied gamely through the stretch to catch Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr. I) winner Spain in the final sixteenth-mile, winning Saturday's $300,000 Santa Margarita Invitational Handicap (gr. I) by a half-length at Santa Anita.
Most Popular Stories
- Calumet Farm: The Rebirth of a Legend
- Mubtaahij the X Factor in Kentucky Derby
- Shared Belief Diagnosed With Hip Fracture
- Efforts Continue to Identify At-Risk Horses
- Median Rises at OBS Spring Sale Opener
- 'Quisqueyano' Aims for Graded Win in TX Mile
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for April 21, 2015
- Hall of Fame Jockey Turcotte Out of Hospital
- Motion to Send out Kitten's Point in Bewitch
- Mubtaahij Works Three Furlongs at Arlington