By Earl Ola -- Thirty years ago, there were 220 racetracks in America; today there are just over 100. Belmont's stands where filled for races like the two-mile Jockey Club Gold Cup, the 2 1/4-mile Gallant Fox, etc. Today the same races are run at 1 1/4 miles and Belmont's stands are mostly empty for those races.
Most Popular Stories
- Barretts' First Del Mar Sale Sees Increase
- The Truth Or Else Joins Belmont Stakes Mix
- Smooth Stride Could Lift American Pharoah
- Secretariat's Birthplace Named 'Historic'
- Lopez Family Faces Off at Golden Gate
- Old Friends Cabin Creek Welcomes Be Bullish
- American Pharoah Jogs One Mile at Churchill
- Miss Temple City on Schedule for Royal Ascot
- No Belmont Stakes for Conquest Curlinate
- MarketWatch: McPeek on Yearling Selection