By Earl Ola -- Thirty years ago, there were 220 racetracks in America; today there are just over 100. Belmont's stands where filled for races like the two-mile Jockey Club Gold Cup, the 2 1/4-mile Gallant Fox, etc. Today the same races are run at 1 1/4 miles and Belmont's stands are mostly empty for those races.
Most Popular Stories
- Pensioned Top Maryland Sire Not For Love Dies
- Stay Thirsty's First Winner Comes in England
- Ride On Curlin to Florida's Pleasant Acres
- Santa Anita Pick 6 Pays Over $1.47 Million
- Second Saratoga Group Sounds Off on NYRA Plan
- Swipe at Belmont Preparing for His Return
- Purses Enhanced for 2016 Ellis Park Meet
- Suddenbreakingnews Now 'Official Ridgling'
- Stahlbaum Wins Avelino Gomez Award
- Creator Works, Set for Trip to New York