By Earl Ola -- Thirty years ago, there were 220 racetracks in America; today there are just over 100. Belmont's stands where filled for races like the two-mile Jockey Club Gold Cup, the 2 1/4-mile Gallant Fox, etc. Today the same races are run at 1 1/4 miles and Belmont's stands are mostly empty for those races.
Most Popular Stories
- Exaggerator to Rest at WinStar
- Live Racing at Meadowlands Cancelled Again
- Hill Specialist Ambitious Brew Takes Eddie D.
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Postponed Clear Favorite in Arc de Triomphe
- Leading Jockey Gallardo Heads to New York
- New Santa Anita Turf Course Passes First Test
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- Charlton’s Abbotts Retiring on Own Terms
- Tepin Works Half-Mile at Saratoga