By Earl Ola -- Thirty years ago, there were 220 racetracks in America; today there are just over 100. Belmont's stands where filled for races like the two-mile Jockey Club Gold Cup, the 2 1/4-mile Gallant Fox, etc. Today the same races are run at 1 1/4 miles and Belmont's stands are mostly empty for those races.
Most Popular Stories
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Focused Hemsworth Entered in Curlin Stakes
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Stronach Group Explores Expansion into Massachusetts
- Gutsy Move Gets Abel Tasman CCA Oaks Win
- Big World to be Offered at Fasig-Tipton November Sale
- Lady Eli Runs 'One of Her Greatest Races to Date'
- Abel Tasman, Elate Exit CCA Oaks in Good Order
- Hard Aces Looks for Repeat in Cougar II
- Awesome Banner Posts Bullet Ahead of Vanderbilt