Recalling the determined life of Maryland trainer Richard 'Dickie' Small. Read Feature
John Scheinman has won the 2014 Media Eclipse Award for Writing in the Feature/Commentary category for "Memories of a Master: The Determined Life of Dickie Small," which appeared on bloodhorse.com.
Richard "Dickie" Small, who trained 1994 Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) winner Concern, top 1980s handicap star Broad Brush, and many other stakes winners, died April 4 at his home in Monkton, Md.
The Maryland Horsemen's Assistance Fund, with The Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association, presents a fundraiser at The Corner Stable in Columbia, Md., Oct. 17 to benefit a fund for injured exercise rider Jose Villegas.
Rosie Napravnik remembers galloping horses at Pimlico Race Course before she even earned her jockey's license. On May 18 aboard Mylute, she'll become just the third woman to ever ride in the Preakness Stakes (gr. I).
Dynamic Strike will try for a second straight stakes win at Laurel Park and fourth consecutive victory overall at the track in the $150,000 Private Terms Stakes March 9.
Most Popular Stories
- Final Call for Taylors of Seattle Slew Fame
- NYRA Unveils 10-Race Claiming Series
- New York Sanctions Mott for Drug Overages
- National HBPA Sets Convention Agenda
- Racing Investigators to Meet in NJ in March
- TCA to Present Awards of Merit
- 'Chrome' Set for San Antonio, Bayern Doubtful
- Catastrophic Equine Injuries' Impact on Jockey Injuries
- 74-Year-Old Horseplayer Wins 2015 NHC Title
- Flashy Debut for Royal Delta Half Brother