Turf writer Sean Clancy, photographer Brandon Benson, columnist Dick Jerardi and sports producer Mike Pupo will be honored by the Maryland Jockey Club with this year's Preakness media awards during the annual Alibi Breakfast May 15 at Pimlico's Terrace Dining Room.
Jockey Calvin Borel, noted veterinary surgeon Dr. Larry Bramlage, and award-winning racing journalist Dick Jerardi will be honored Oct. 24 with awards presented by the National Turf Writers Association.
Dick Jerardi of the Philadelphia Daily News won the 2006 media Eclipse Award for writing in the news/commentary category for his series of articles on the events surrounding the injury and surgery on Barbaro, and The Blood-Horse received two honorable mentions in the same category for columns that appeared in the magazine.
Dick Jerardi of the Philadelphia Daily News became a five-time winner and three newcomers earned top honors as Churchill Downs announced the winners of its 2006 Red Smith Kentucky Derby Writing Contest, which annually recognizes the best in print media coverage of America's greatest race.
The topic of Internet gambling, both the federal prohibition and its still possibly disruptive effects on pari-mutuel business will open the 14th annual International Simulcast Conference in Philadelphia Oct. 16-18.
Steve Haskin, senior correspondent for The Blood-Horse was honored with his fourth Red Smith Award writing award Friday, it was announced by Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Lord Nelson Fighting Laminitis, to Miss Breeding Season
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- California Chrome's Dubai Win voted Moment of the Year
- A. P. Indy Fires Another Across the Bow
- Two New Sires to California's Milky Way Farm
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Summer Front's First Foal is a Filly
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- NY Proposes Sweeping Equine Drug, Record Rules
- Jockey Lane Luzzi Follows in Father's Footsteps