Dick Hancock, executive director of the Florida Thoroughbred Breeders' and Owners' Association for 22 years, plans to retire before his contract ends, according to organization president Fred Brei.
The Florida Thoroughbred Breeders' and Owners' Association has taken the first step toward converting its Quarter Horse permit to a Thoroughbred permit, for a possible Thoroughbred race meet in Marion County.
The Florida legislature will end its 2011 regular session May 6, and it appears language authorizing a special Breeders' Cup permit for Hialeah Park will have to wait a year.
Gulfstream Park is reporting its third straight annual handle growth as it heads into the final month of its racing season. New exotic wagers and good weath contribute to the strength.
Leading Thoroughbred breeder and owner Arthur I. Appleton of Bridlewood Farm in Florida died Jan. 15 at the age of 92.
Donald R. Dizney was re-elected president of the Florida Thoroughbred Breeders' and Owners' Association following the annual membership meeting on Saturday, Oct. 8, in Ocala, Florida.
Florida Thoroughbred Breeders' and Owners' Association officials said they are satisfied the strangles situation is being properly handled in Florida.
- By Tom LaMarra
Is the "Horse Capital of the World" Lexington, Kentucky or Ocala, Forida.? According to the United States Patent and Trademark Office, it's Ocala and the surrounding area in Marion County, Fla.
Though Florida has been hardest hit by West Nile vVrus this year, the number of confirmed cases in Marion County, home to Ocala and many horse farms, isn't out of line with the rest of the state, according to data registered through Oct. 31.
Most Popular Stories
- Irish War Cry Morning-Line Pick in Wide-Open Haskell
- Stellar Wind, Vale Dori Face Off Again in Hirsch
- Into the Gray Brings Graydar First Winner
- Fayeq Impresses in Saratoga Allowance Victory
- Successful Sire City Zip Dead at 19
- Jockey Flores Plans to Retire From Riding
- Always Dreaming, Cloud Computing Head Jim Dandy
- Ascend, Bigger Picture to Clash in Bowling Green
- Look Back: Bernardini's Dandy Score at Saratoga
- No Sure Favorite in Woodbine's Royal North Stakes