Dick Hancock, executive director of the Florida Thoroughbred Breeders' and Owners' Association for 22 years, plans to retire before his contract ends, according to organization president Fred Brei.
The Florida Thoroughbred Breeders' and Owners' Association has taken the first step toward converting its Quarter Horse permit to a Thoroughbred permit, for a possible Thoroughbred race meet in Marion County.
The Florida legislature will end its 2011 regular session May 6, and it appears language authorizing a special Breeders' Cup permit for Hialeah Park will have to wait a year.
Gulfstream Park is reporting its third straight annual handle growth as it heads into the final month of its racing season. New exotic wagers and good weath contribute to the strength.
Leading Thoroughbred breeder and owner Arthur I. Appleton of Bridlewood Farm in Florida died Jan. 15 at the age of 92.
Donald R. Dizney was re-elected president of the Florida Thoroughbred Breeders' and Owners' Association following the annual membership meeting on Saturday, Oct. 8, in Ocala, Florida.
Florida Thoroughbred Breeders' and Owners' Association officials said they are satisfied the strangles situation is being properly handled in Florida.
- By Tom LaMarra
Is the "Horse Capital of the World" Lexington, Kentucky or Ocala, Forida.? According to the United States Patent and Trademark Office, it's Ocala and the surrounding area in Marion County, Fla.
Though Florida has been hardest hit by West Nile vVrus this year, the number of confirmed cases in Marion County, home to Ocala and many horse farms, isn't out of line with the rest of the state, according to data registered through Oct. 31.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begins Belmont Training
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park
- Catch A Glimpse Has Homecoming in Nassau
- Humane Society, PETA Support USADA Bill
- CHRB Approves Medication Conditions for Breeders' Cup
- Midnight Storm Seeks Grade 1 Dirt Win in Gold Cup
- Will American Freedom Upset the Gold Cup?
- Congressmen Say Federal Bill Targets Lack of Uniformity
- Lady Eli Brings Her Class to Gamely