Champion Escena, who won the 1998 Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr. I) at Churchill Downs, died June 3 at Diamond A Farms near Versailles, Ky.
Elizabeth Moran's grade I winner Mushka has been retired from racing because of an ankle issue and booked to Distorted Humor.
Interference in deep stretch cost Juddmonte Farms a chance to win their own race, as their English homebred Proviso crossed the wire first in the $500,000 Juddmonte Spinster (gr. I) but was disqualified for veering out sharply inside the sixteenth-pole. The disqualification gave the victory to Brushwood Stable's Mushka, who crossed the wire second by 2 1/4 lengths, but likely would have gone by Proviso had her path not been impeded.
Brushwood Stable's Mushka took over approaching the quarter-pole, opened a clear lead in the stretch, and held on for a 1 1/4-length victory in the $110,500 Glen Falls Handicap (gr. IIIT) Sept. 7 at Saratoga.
Diane and Guy Snowden's Edgewood Stakes winner Solar Bound has been retired due to a severe episode of pulmonary bleeding during an allowance race at Churchill Downs on Wednesday.
Most Popular Stories
- Pricey Filly Tops OBS Pinhook Prospects
- Reach the World Euthanized After Training Injury
- Imperative Repeats in Charles Town Classic
- OBS Spring Sale to Test Depth of Juvenile Market
- Collected Impresses Again in Californian
- Multiplier Steps Up His Game in Illinois Derby
- Call To Mind Delivers Late Birthday Gift to The Queen
- Cloud Computing to Bypass KY Derby, Point for Preakness
- Gormley Works Smartly at Santa Anita
- Twisted Tom Takes Sloppy Tesio