Eldaafer, winner of the 2010 Breeders' Cup Marathon (gr. III), has been retired to Old Friends in Georgetown, Ky., along with his goat companions Yahoo and Google.
Eldaafer got the nod in a photo finish Sept. 2 at Parx Racing, nosing out Indian Jones for victory in the $200,000 Greenwood Cup (gr. III). The 8-year-old gelding is best known for his win in the 2010 Breeders' Cup Marathon.
A post-race fight between jockey Calvin Borel and rider Javier Castellano upstaged the Breeders' Cup Marathon (gr. III), the first race on the Nov. 5 Breeders' Cup World Championship card at Churchill Downs.
Eldaafer, a starter in the Breeders' Cup Marathon a year ago, could be on his way back to the World Championship event once again thanks to his half-length score in the Turfway Park Fall Championship Stakes (gr. III).
Eldaafer and Nite Light, separated by only a nose in last month's Brooklyn Handicap (gr. II), will meet again July 18, this time with a Breeders' Cup berth on the line. The older horses will square off in the $250,000 Greenwood Cup at Philadelphia Park Casino & Racetrack.
Most Popular Stories
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Saez to Ride J Boys Echo in Kentucky Derby
- Look Back: Justakiss, Ole Liz Win Divisions of Bewitch
- Syndergaard to Make 2017 Debut in William Walker
- Stewart to Train, Manage Latest Churchill Racing Club
- Derby, Oaks Notes From Churchill Downs, April 26
- High-Profile Owners Team Up to Buy Expensive Colt
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017