Eldaafer, winner of the 2010 Breeders' Cup Marathon (gr. III), has been retired to Old Friends in Georgetown, Ky., along with his goat companions Yahoo and Google.
Eldaafer got the nod in a photo finish Sept. 2 at Parx Racing, nosing out Indian Jones for victory in the $200,000 Greenwood Cup (gr. III). The 8-year-old gelding is best known for his win in the 2010 Breeders' Cup Marathon.
A post-race fight between jockey Calvin Borel and rider Javier Castellano upstaged the Breeders' Cup Marathon (gr. III), the first race on the Nov. 5 Breeders' Cup World Championship card at Churchill Downs.
Eldaafer, a starter in the Breeders' Cup Marathon a year ago, could be on his way back to the World Championship event once again thanks to his half-length score in the Turfway Park Fall Championship Stakes (gr. III).
Eldaafer and Nite Light, separated by only a nose in last month's Brooklyn Handicap (gr. II), will meet again July 18, this time with a Breeders' Cup berth on the line. The older horses will square off in the $250,000 Greenwood Cup at Philadelphia Park Casino & Racetrack.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate, California Chrome Meet Again in Pegasus
- NYSGC Suspends Jockey Agent Gonzalez for 10 Years
- Trainer Chad Brown Finally Lands His Knockout
- Semper Fortis Takes Ralis' Spot in Pegasus World Cup
- Gun Runner Likely Out of Pegasus World Cup
- California Chrome Again Horse of the Year
- Keen Ice to Calumet Upon Retirement
- American Lion Gelding, Overdriven Filly Top OBS Works
- Beautyinthepulpit to New York's Buckridge Farm
- One More Time: California Chrome Sizzles in Final Work