Hip No. 134 got the best possible update the weekend before the Saratoga select yearling sale, a grade I victory in the family courtesy of Aug. 3 Whitney Invitational Handicap (gr. I) winner Cross Traffic.
Multiple grade I winner Devil May Care, a starter in the 2010 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), was euthanized May 4 after a confirmed diagnosis of lymphosarcoma, a form of cancer.
Minister Eric, who ran third in his only race since an eventful 16th-place finish in the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) May 1, will wear blinkers when he tackles a competitive field in the Malibu Stakes (gr. I) Sunday at Santa Anita Park.
Minister Eric prepped for a possible run in the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) with a 4 1/2-length victory in an allowance race Wednesday at Keeneland.
A colt by Honour and Glory brought a top price of $72,000 during Friday's next-to-last session of Keeneland's September Yearling Sale.
Santa Anita presents a pair of graded turf events Saturday. In the $250,000 Santa Barbara (gr. IIT), Noches de Rosa goes for a repeat of her sharp Santa Ana score against Megahertz and Garden in the Rain. Juddmonte Farms' Speak in Passing returns after a 15-month absence in the $125,000 San Simeon (gr. IIIT).
The technicality that kept Pleasantly Perfect out of the Breeders' Cup Classic is history, and trainer Richard Mandella believes his lightly raced 5-year-old is ready to deliver a smasher in Sunday's San Antonio Handicap (gr. II) at Santa Anita.
Diamond A Racing Corporation's Pleasantly Perfect, on a stakes path for the Santa Anita Handicap March 1, worked four furlongs in :48 2/5 handily over the Arcadia track Wednesday.
Most Popular Stories
- Suffolk Downs, Horsemen Have Deal for Meets
- American Pharoah Shows Readiness for Rebel
- TJC Acquires Majority Interest in Blood-Horse
- Nerud 3-Year-Old Wins Again at Big A
- California Chrome Working Steadily for Dubai
- Kentucky Oaks Attracts 154 Nominees
- Charles Town, Oaklawn, Laurel Cancel Cards
- Insights on Jockey Club's Purchase of B-H
- West Point to Sponsor BC Betting Challenge
- Caesars' Moves Impact Turfway, ThistleDown