Trillium Stable's graded stakes winner Dreadnaught ships into South Florida from Maryland for the third time this winter as one of the horses to beat in a full field of 12 older horses entered in Sunday's $150,000 Mac Diarmida Handicap (gr. IIT) at Gulfstream Park.
When pacesetter Bob's Proud Moment faltered in the final eighth of a mile of the off the turf $200,000 W.L. McKnight Handicap (gr. III) Saturday at sloppy Calder Race Course, Devil's Preacher was there to take full advantage, rallying late to win the 1 1/2-mile marathon.
Lael Stable's odds-on choice Showing Up shook off a determined charge from Outperformance at the head of the stretch and stormed to a commanding win in the $290,000 Jamaica Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIT) for 3-year-olds on the Belmont Park inner turf course Saturday.
Flatbird Stable's Rock Lobster shipped in from Maryland for trainer Michael Dickinson to surprise the field at odds of 8-1 in Sunday's $113,900 Saranac (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds on the Saratoga Mellon Turf Course. It was Rock Lobster's graded stakes debut.
Peter Vegso's homebred Go Between, guided through a hole along the rail by Edgar Prado, outlasted a determined Up an Octave to win a neck decision in the $100,000 Palm Beach Handicap (gr. IIIT) at 1 1/8 miles for 3-year-olds on the Gulfstream Park turf Sunday.
Mr. Silver and Up an Octave, after trading decisions in two previous clashes, face off again in Sunday's $100,000 Palm Beach Stakes (gr. III) for 3-year-olds on the Gulfstream Park turf. Eight colts are entered.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief a Massive Favorite in Big 'Cap
- Breeders' Cup Tickets Go On Sale March 4
- Gulfstream 'Cap Distance Fits Private Zone
- On the Muscle, Dortmund Ready for San Felipe
- Winning Prize to Defend Kilroe Mile Title
- Carpe Diem Faces Ocean Knight in Tampa Derby
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for March 3, 2015
- Conquest Two Step One to Beat in San Carlos
- Retired Trainer Lake Dies in Saratoga Springs
- El Kabeir the Colt to Beat in Gotham