Veteran jockey T.D. Houghton registered the 5,000th win of his career May 4 when he guided 3-5 favorite Mambo Galliano, owned by Shane Spiess, to a 6 1/2-length victory in a $4,000 claiming race at Thistledown.
Veteran racing official Robert "Bob" Clark, a steward at Thistledown since 2006, died early Aug. 7 at the Cleveland VA Medical Center. Clark had been operated on in late July for neck injuries and was reportedly on the road to recovery.
Pinnacle Race Course in Michigan remains on schedule for a July 18 opening and has filled the position of vice president of sales and marketing.
Michigan Racing Commissioner Christine White issued a racing license March 19 to Post It Stables for Pinnacle Race Course, a Thoroughbred facility under construction in Romulus in the Detroit metropolitan area.
The Huron Township Planning Commission approved a site plan March 10 for the proposed $142-million Pinnacle Race Course near Detroit, Mich.
Trainer Margaret Donnelly, the first woman trainer at Detroit Race Course and Hazel Park, died July 9 at the age of 90.
- By Tom LaMarra
Magna Entertainment Corp. has sold Great Lakes Downs in a lease-back deal that will allow it to operate a live Thoroughbred meet at the western Michigan facility and pursue plans for Michigan Downs, a proposed racetrack in the Detroit metropolitan area.
The proposed transfer of the racetrack license held by Great Lakes Downs to Richmond Racing is scheduled to be June 29 by the Office of Michigan Racing Commissioner.
Chalk up an added entry in the already crowded field to build a Thoroughbred racetrack in the Detroit metropolitan area.
The future of Michigan's Thoroughbred industry may lie squarely in the hands of three departing Republican politicians who are working against a year-end deadline to decide the fate of a legislative package that could reinvigorate racing in the state.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Past Three Winners Return for Hong Kong's QE II
- ABR Interview with Jockey Brian Hernandez Jr.
- Saez to Ride J Boys Echo in Kentucky Derby
- Derby, Oaks Notes From Churchill Downs, April 26
- Single-Day Saratoga Tickets on Sale May 3
- Syndergaard to Make 2017 Debut in William Walker