Gulfstream Park's spring/summer meet, which starts April 11, will feature a robust 2-year-old program highlighted by the $1.4 million Florida Sire Stakes series.
Harry T. Mangurian Jr., one of Florida's leading breeders and owners for years, died Oct. 19 in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., after battling leukemia.
One should never underestimate the value of a good start. That's what the owner and trainer of Ivanavinalot advise, after seeing their 2-year-old filly dominate the Susan's Girl Division of the Florida Stallion Stakes Saturday at Calder Race Course.
In a pair of thrilling stretch drives to settle the divisions of the Florida Stallion Stakes at Calder Race Course Saturday, Fortunate Card and Lawbook emerged with hard-earned victories.
Pharmstar, making the second start of her career, beat Blissful Kiss by 4 3/4 lengths Saturday in the fillies' Desert Vixen division of the $75,000 Florida Stallion Stakes for 2-year-olds at Calder. O'Rocky and Carey's Gold won their respective races in the split open division, named the Dr. Fager Stallion Stakes.
If Harry T. Mangurian Jr. subscribes to the theory it's best to go out on top, he is a perfect illustration of those words in action. The leading breeder of 1999 repeated the feat in 2000. Ironically, in 2001 the last of Mangurian's breeding stock will be dispersed, a process he began in October of 1999. Mangurian, 73, put the liquidation in motion in part because he and his wife, Dottie, want to spend more time at their Ft. Lauderdale home, rather than at their Mockingbird Farm near Ocala, Fla.
Most Popular Stories
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- Kentucky Derby Starters Reunite in Ohio Derby
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- Kitasan Black Faces 10 in Takarazuka Kinen