Odds-on Zeewat overcame a less than ideal trip to claim the $100,000 California Derby Jan. 12 at Golden Gate Fields for his second straight stakes score around two turns.
The first foal by champion Blame arrived Jan. 13 in Pennsylvania.
Favored Mrs. Lindsay looked beaten with a furlong left to run, but the group I-winning French invader fought back along the inside to overtake local hope Sealy Hill in the $1 million E.P. Taylor Stakes (gr. IT) while setting a course record on the Woodbine turf Oct. 21.
Annie Edge, a graded stakes winner and dam of six homebred stakes winners for George Strawbridge, has been euthanized at Bettina Jenney's Derry Meeting Farm near Cochranville, Pa.
A daughter of 2003 leading sire A.P. Indy was purchased by William S. Farish for $1.5 million to top Tuesday's first session of the Fasig-Tipton Saratoga yearling sale in Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
Waya, an Eclipse Award winner and one of the stars of the late 1970s, died Dec. 12. She was 27 and had been pensioned. Owned by George Strawbridge and Peter Brant, Waya resided at Bettina Jenney's Derry Meeting Farm near Cochranville, Pa., and was euthanized because of complications from laminitis.
Prominent California stallion Habitony, sire of three-time California Horse of the Year Best Pal and 26 other stakes winners, was euthanized the morning of Jan. 30 because of heart problems.
Pennsylvania horseman Marshall Jenney, who bred leading sire Danzig in partnership, died Sunday at Johns Hopkins Medical Center in Baltimore after a brief illness. Jenney, who also bred English and Irish champion Mrs. Penny and millionaire Yankee Affair, was 60.
Most Popular Stories
- Game On Dude, Won Three Big 'Caps, Retired
- Sherman Says 'Chrome' Looks as Good as Ever
- Top Filly Princess of Sylmar Retired
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Undrafted Returns in Kentucky Downs Turf Dash
- Illinois Board Has Tough Call on 2015 Dates
- Big Gains Mark Keeneland Sale's Day 11
- Filly First Winner for Line of David
- Pedigree Analysis: Inbreeding Trends
- Top Stallion Street Cry Dead at Age 16