The California Horse Racing Board May 26 advanced a proposal that would alter its current rule restricting whip use by jockeys riding Thoroughbreds.
Jockey Flavien Prat, who was injured in a Los Alamitos spill in September, had his body brace removed Nov. 12 and could return to riding by January.
Jockey agent Derek Lawson was surprised when he walked into Flavien Prat's room at Long Beach Memorial Medical Center Sept. 23. His rider was standing up, by himself, looking him right in the eye.
Five days after breaking multiple vertebrae in his back and puncturing a lung after a fall at Los Alamitos Race Course, jockey Flavien Prat was out of bed and walking for the first time Sept. 22.
The morning after a fall at Los Alamitos Race Course caused multiple fractures in his back, jockey Flavien Prat remains in the Long Beach Memorial Medical Center's intensive care unit.
After a spill that sent Flavien Prat and Santiago Gonzalez to the ground Sept. 17 at Los Alamitos Race Course, both jockeys were transported to Long Beach Memorial Medical Center.
French import Flavien Prat is one of many up-and-coming young jockeys hoping to take the reins from the sport's best. He rides Pain and Misery in the San Felipe (gr. II) and Silentio in the Kilroe Mile (gr. IT) March 7.
Strong Santa Ana winds of up to 100 miles per hour blew through Southern California early Dec. 1, uprooting trees and damaging some barns at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia.
David Nuesch, former leading rider at Emerald Downs, has joined the jockey colony at Santa Anita, where his book will be handled by Derek Lawson.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Hence Springs Upset in Sunland Derby
- Dortmund Back to Dirt in Next Start
- Undefeated Ghalia Takes Sunland Park Oaks
- Girvin Heads Louisiana Derby Field
- Fast and Accurate Scores Spiral Upset
- Fear the Cowboy Takes Skip Away in Late Drive
- Farrell Poised for Next Test in Fair Grounds Oaks
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen