There will be five inductees to the Canterbury Park Hall of Fame for 2011, with a ceremony to be held Aug. 6 at the Minnesota racetrack.
Canterbury Park's 67-day meet ended Sept. 1 with a decline in on-track handle and attendance, but posted about flat results on all-sources handle due to increased import wagering.
- By Claire Novak
Jockey Terry Houghton, banned from Tampa Bay Downs last December, will not be permitted to ride at Arlington Park this summer even though he was allowed to ride at Hawthorne Race Course when the 2007 spring meet began there in February - but Rene Douglas, also banned from two Florida tracks in December, has received clearance to ride.
- By Ryan Conley
Frustrations with racetracks handling of recent jockey exclusions bubbled over during a committee meeting at the Association of Racing Commissioners International annual convention April 24, with attendees bemoaning the negative attention caused by the ongoing situation.
Jockeys Terry Houghton and Derek Bell have been given approval to ride at the spring Hawthorne meet that begins Feb. 23. The riders were among seven jockeys banned from the grounds of Tampa Bay Downs Dec. 19, 2006.
With less than one week remaining until the start of the 2007 racing season, officials at Gulfstream Park said they would not grant access to the 10 jockeys banned from other tracks this month.
Tampa Bay Downs ruled off seven jockeys effective Dec. 19 because of what management called an "ongoing investigation" being conducted by the Thoroughbred Racing Protective Bureau.
Most Popular Stories
- Tepin Works; Trip to Royal Ascot Uncertain
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- California Chrome 'Stronger' in Los Al Drill
- Exaggerator Carries Delta Jackpot Flag
- Mike Venezia Memorial Award to Go to Pino
- Rabada Strikes for Second Group I Win in SAf
- Kentucky Suspends Umarov for 10 Years
- Exaggerator Gallops at Pimlico Race Course
- Destin Work is 'Stamina Builder' for Belmont
- Rockingham to End All Operations Aug. 31