Chitu and Bayern, two possible starters in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands for Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert, breezed a half-mile at Churchill Downs April 21 as they continued preparations for the May 3 race.
An ecstatic D. Wayne Lukas jumped off his pony and declared, "We are very much in the Derby." Lukas was referring to Lexington Stakes winner Proud Citizen, who had just worked 5 furlongs in a quick :58 4/5 in the pre-dawn darkness of Churchill Downs in preparation for Saturday's 128th Kentucky Derby.
Here is a revised workout schedule for horses vying for this year's Kentucky Derby.
With the track sealed overnight to block out the rains that soaked Louisville, Ky., there were fast times posted on the Sunday morning workout tab at Churchill Downs.
On a cool, windy morning that the horses seemed to like more than the people on the backside of Churchill Downs, Kentucky Derby contenders Essence of Dubai and Request for Parole were the only two classic hopefuls working out.
Most Popular Stories
- First Reported Foal for Point of Entry
- Downey Profile: 10 U.S. Noms to UAE Derby
- First Reported Foal for Rattlesnake Bridge
- Australian Vets Support New Racing Rule on Cobalt
- Through the Lens: Wise Dan Photo Gets Award
- Final Call for Taylors of Seattle Slew Fame
- 'Chrome' Tops U.S. Nominees for World Cup
- Jockey Chapa Faces Felony Race-Fixing Charges
- Take Charge Brandi Set for Martha Washington
- New Leadership Coming for Illinois Board