Chitu and Bayern, two possible starters in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands for Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert, breezed a half-mile at Churchill Downs April 21 as they continued preparations for the May 3 race.
An ecstatic D. Wayne Lukas jumped off his pony and declared, "We are very much in the Derby." Lukas was referring to Lexington Stakes winner Proud Citizen, who had just worked 5 furlongs in a quick :58 4/5 in the pre-dawn darkness of Churchill Downs in preparation for Saturday's 128th Kentucky Derby.
Here is a revised workout schedule for horses vying for this year's Kentucky Derby.
With the track sealed overnight to block out the rains that soaked Louisville, Ky., there were fast times posted on the Sunday morning workout tab at Churchill Downs.
On a cool, windy morning that the horses seemed to like more than the people on the backside of Churchill Downs, Kentucky Derby contenders Essence of Dubai and Request for Parole were the only two classic hopefuls working out.
Most Popular Stories
- Keen Ice Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Arc Winner Found Could Run in BC Classic
- Roca Rojo Closes for Athenia Victory
- Seven-Time Group I Winner Buffering Retired
- Gainesway Colts Among Hips to Watch
- WinStar Farm Sets 2017 Stud Fees
- California Chrome Powerful Late in BC Drill
- Elektrum Surges at Wire to Win Dowager
- Curalina, Syndergaard Breeze at Belmont