Chitu and Bayern, two possible starters in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands for Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert, breezed a half-mile at Churchill Downs April 21 as they continued preparations for the May 3 race.
An ecstatic D. Wayne Lukas jumped off his pony and declared, "We are very much in the Derby." Lukas was referring to Lexington Stakes winner Proud Citizen, who had just worked 5 furlongs in a quick :58 4/5 in the pre-dawn darkness of Churchill Downs in preparation for Saturday's 128th Kentucky Derby.
Here is a revised workout schedule for horses vying for this year's Kentucky Derby.
With the track sealed overnight to block out the rains that soaked Louisville, Ky., there were fast times posted on the Sunday morning workout tab at Churchill Downs.
On a cool, windy morning that the horses seemed to like more than the people on the backside of Churchill Downs, Kentucky Derby contenders Essence of Dubai and Request for Parole were the only two classic hopefuls working out.
Most Popular Stories
- Red Pollard Seabiscuit Saddle to be Auctioned
- Baffert Seeks 7th Futurity Win with Dortmund
- Trainer Wells Pleads Guilty to Rigging Races
- Untapable, Tapiture Settle in at Fair Grounds
- Barretts January Mixed Sale Catalog Online
- New Management for 2015 at Rillito Park
- Lenny's Place - Episode 7
- New York Panel Announces Winning Casino Bids
- Tax Break on Racehorses Passes Congress
- New Rules Lead to Spike in Indiana Positives