Wagering expectations were not met by the majority of horseplayers at Hawthorne Nov.3, as six Illinois-bred stakes races were run and all six favorites disappointed, with longshots ruling the day in the 7th annual Phil Georgeff Festival of Racing.
Six $100,000 stakes events restricted to Prairie State performers will be presented at Hawthorne on Saturday's Illinois Champions Day program. The stakes will be run consecutively (races four through nine).
In spite of being left at the gate, M.Y. Stables' outsider Knowwhatimean wound his way through a 12-horse field for jockey Seth Martinez to win the $114,050 Lightning Jet Handicap, one of six feature races for Illinois breds at Hawthorne Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- CHRB Gets Update as Moving Day Draws Closer
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- Normandy Invasion, Itsmyluckyday Return
- Solid Field Drawn for Springboard Mile Stakes
- Marathon Valedictory Closes Out Woodbine Meet
- Barbaro Brother Lentenor to Stand in Indiana
- Slideshow: New Sires of 2014
- Preakness Purse Increased to $1.5M in 2014
- Northern California Race Dates Approved
- Longshot Proves First Winner for Tippity Tap