Wagering expectations were not met by the majority of horseplayers at Hawthorne Nov.3, as six Illinois-bred stakes races were run and all six favorites disappointed, with longshots ruling the day in the 7th annual Phil Georgeff Festival of Racing.
Six $100,000 stakes events restricted to Prairie State performers will be presented at Hawthorne on Saturday's Illinois Champions Day program. The stakes will be run consecutively (races four through nine).
In spite of being left at the gate, M.Y. Stables' outsider Knowwhatimean wound his way through a 12-horse field for jockey Seth Martinez to win the $114,050 Lightning Jet Handicap, one of six feature races for Illinois breds at Hawthorne Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Logs Work for 'Challenge'
- Half Dome Dude Sets Remington Track Record
- Highway Star Wins Go for Wand by a Nose
- King and His Court Claims Display Stakes
- Dynatail First Winner for Hightail
- Arrogate-'Chrome' Match Race in Pegasus?
- Departing Retired to Claiborne Farm
- Blue Grass, Wood Memorial Downgraded
- Sandford, Owner of Take Charge Indy, Dies
- Changing Schedules Impacted Wood, Blue Grass