Wagering expectations were not met by the majority of horseplayers at Hawthorne Nov.3, as six Illinois-bred stakes races were run and all six favorites disappointed, with longshots ruling the day in the 7th annual Phil Georgeff Festival of Racing.
Six $100,000 stakes events restricted to Prairie State performers will be presented at Hawthorne on Saturday's Illinois Champions Day program. The stakes will be run consecutively (races four through nine).
In spite of being left at the gate, M.Y. Stables' outsider Knowwhatimean wound his way through a 12-horse field for jockey Seth Martinez to win the $114,050 Lightning Jet Handicap, one of six feature races for Illinois breds at Hawthorne Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- 'Derby Poker Bourbon Bash' to Benefit TCA
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses