Wagering expectations were not met by the majority of horseplayers at Hawthorne Nov.3, as six Illinois-bred stakes races were run and all six favorites disappointed, with longshots ruling the day in the 7th annual Phil Georgeff Festival of Racing.
Six $100,000 stakes events restricted to Prairie State performers will be presented at Hawthorne on Saturday's Illinois Champions Day program. The stakes will be run consecutively (races four through nine).
In spite of being left at the gate, M.Y. Stables' outsider Knowwhatimean wound his way through a 12-horse field for jockey Seth Martinez to win the $114,050 Lightning Jet Handicap, one of six feature races for Illinois breds at Hawthorne Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Lady Eli Survives Diana Inquiry
- Twisted Tom Muscles His Way to New York Derby Score
- Firenze Fire Upsets Sanford Stakes
- Always Dreaming, Cloud Computing, Tapwrit Work at Spa
- As Arrogate's Stature Builds, So Do Expectations
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Dream It Is The Real Deal in Schuylerville
- John Henry, Phil Marino, and Early Cajun Days
- Classic Empire to Resume Galloping
- Kettle Corn Gets First Winner at Belterra