Business at Monmouth Park this year expectedly dropped after what appears to be a one-time "Elite Meet" last year, but average daily figures were still much higher than those recorded for the comparable 2009 meet.
The consolidation of Thoroughbred racing at Monmouth Park this year led to a $123 million increase in total handle despite 50% fewer racing dates, New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority officials said Nov. 21.
- By Tom LaMarra
Dennis Robinson, president and chief executive officer of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, was elected to the NTRA board of directors as the Eastern region racetrack representative.
A second "summit meeting" on horse racing and gaming was held in New Jersey Sept. 10.
- By Tom LaMarra
Movement to fix racing's flawed revenue model hits the wall. Read More
Reduced racing days results in record gains at Monmouth Park's "elite summer meet."
Participants in The Jockey Club Round Table Aug. 22 in Saratoga Springs, N.Y., sought to convey optimism and opportunity in the face of declines in many facets of the Thoroughbred industry.
For the first time, The Jockey Club will provide live video streaming of the Aug. 22 Round Table Conference on Matters Pertaining to Racing in Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
About 150 members of the harness racing community met at Meadowlands July 29 to discuss their options in the wake of a recent report that suggests racing at the New Jersey track is no longer viable under state ownership.
There is a buzz around Monmouth Park, which opens May 22 for an experimental meet during which purses will average about $1 million a day.
Monmouth Park concluded its 2009 meeting Sept. 27 showing a significant gain in average attendance, even as wagering followed what has become this year's national downward trend.
Most Popular Stories
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Zayat Pinhooking Venture Returns Large Profit
- Graded Stakes Winner Destin Set for 2017 Debut
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Gold Cup Day
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Familiar Faces Highlight New York Showcase
- Litfin: Gold Cup Figures to Set up Well for Accelerate
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park
- Hong Kong Champion Able Friend Retired