Hall of Fame jockey Russell Baze went 5-for-5 at Golden Gate Fields April 19, a day after he was blanked at the San Francisco Bay Area oval.
Veteran Northern California trainer Dennis Patterson, a well-respected horseman known for his old school approach to conditioning, died at his home in San Mateo on the night of April 4 with his family at his side. He was 77.
Though felled by a horrific riding accident last year that left him paralyzed from the waist down, former Northern California jockey Michael Martinez hasn't let it stop him getting on with his life.
Jockey Michael Martinez was discharged from the Santa Clara Valley Rehabilitation Center in San Jose Nov. 19, 68 days after being critically injured in a spill at Golden Gate Fields.
On the same day paralyzed Northern California jockey Michael Martinez learned he is not a candidate for using embryonic stem cells to treat his severed spinal cord in a clinical trial, he became a father.
Sent off at odds of nearly 20-1, Mercedes Stables' homebred Run It dug in along the rail to post a head victory over heavily favored Bold Chieftain in the $100,000 Berkeley Stakes (gr. III) at Golden Gate Fields.
Lethal Grande, last year's Oregon Horse of the Year, was in control all the way as he captured the $40,000 Maker's Mark Portland Meadows Mile Handicap, the track's top event.
Most Popular Stories
- Breeders' Cup Features 201 Pre-Entered Horses
- Sherman Sees California Chrome Bouncing Back
- Keeneland-Based Horses are BC Bound
- Dimension Looking to Improve in Turf Sprint
- Top 3-Year-Olds Abound in BC Classic
- Pour Moi Colt Tops Yearling Action at Arqana
- BC Classic: How Weak Are the Older Horses?
- Complete Breeders' Cup Pre-Entries
- Departing Heads Hagyard Fayette Field
- Breeders' Cup Lists Start Times, Bet Options